The month is drawing to a close, so let's see how I did. You can find my December goal post here. Overall, I'm pleased with my progress, given how crazy the month always is.
- Complete 1,000 minutes of cardio, 10 strength, & 5 stretch workouts. - I'm currently at 826 minutes, 7 strength workouts, & 2 stretching workouts. Obviously, December was not exactly my best workout month.
- Finish my 12K! - Done!!
- Decorate the house for the holidays, & mail all Christmas cards. - Done! I did this early & it was awesome, & helped reduce my stress later in the month.
- Lose 5 lbs (bringing me to 142). - Most definitely a no. I'm at 146 right now, & I feel lucky that I didn't gain over the holidays.
- Finalize 2013 goals & budget. - Done! Here's my recap of my 2013 budget & my 2013 goals.
- Have one date night with M. - We had a date lunch, so I'm going to count it!
- Get together with two friends. - Lots of get togethers this month, so done!
- Update/amend our 2011 taxes based on the $16K repayment issue. - Well, we've done our part & now we're waiting for the company to restate M's W2.
- Stick to our December budget. - There are a few charges that need to clear, but I believe we will close out the month on track!!!! There's a first for everything. :-)
- Clean out my closet & both boys closets. - I cleaned out the kids closets, & my dresser, as well as my night stand. Partial win? :-)
- Put together our will & guardianship (at least a draft). - No. Major fail. :-(
- Go to at least 5 holiday events with the kids! Lots of choices in our area - a parade that happens every night, a botanical garden decorated with lights, & a kids museum with a special gingerbread house exhibit. - Done! We had a great month & did lots of fun & festive holiday activities.
And, I'm behind (again!) on posting my budget categories, so here's a double whammy again today.
In accordance with my plan in December to really dissect our 2013 budget & areas for cutback, I'm posting about one category per day. So far, I've covered mortgage interest (and a potential refi), our grocery budget., dining out, kids activities, gas, utilities at our vacation house, & utilities at our primary residence, clothing, travel, child care & personal spending, health & house, gifts & car maintenance, & miscellaneous kid spending + liquor.
Today's topics for discussion are . . . college funds & car insurance.
- College funds - this was a hotly debated one. We spent an average of $252/month in 2012, & want to reduce this to $200/month in 2013. Saving for our kids college is incredibly important to us, but we also need to clean up our own spending first. This budget category will be increased as soon as we hit some mortgage financial milestones. We do currently have 43% of the tuition accounts funded, so we're not terribly far behind.
- Car insurance - spend in 2012/month was $283. Our budget for 2013 is higher, at $317. Our insurance went up pretty drastically when we bought our car. We may look at another agent, but feel like this is pretty competitive (3 cars + our insurance on our vacation house is bundled in).