It was a busy week, with my parents in town & the holiday, but here's what we've been up to this week:
Saving on things we buy:
- I redeemed the last of my grocery store rewards for various items we needed while my parents were in town
- I was able to earn $30 in new rewards by picking up Home Depot gift cards that we need & use throughout the year
- Continuing to upload receipts to Fetch. It's small, but minimal work required
- I sold a few things on eBay:
- Two crystal glasses (they were purchased on Thanksgiving - maybe due to someone breaking a couple of their own?)
- An ugly holiday sweater
- A pair of soccer cleats
- And, a wand for a magic game
- I'm not sure I have a lot here, as I've started holiday shopping & feel like I'm enticed a lot at this time of the year to buy things
- I'm now working part-time as a volunteer at a non-profit, and enjoying it very much. More on this in a follow up post, as it's worth more detail.
- My son learned to loom & is making hats for the homeless. He's having such a good time.
- As a thank you to our neighbor for teaching my son to loom, he made a batch of homemade croissants (not a small time investment) & brought some to her
- I ordered a large amount off of an Amazon wish list as a donation to a local high school fundraiser for those students who are homeless in their district. There were a lot of practical items on the list: razors, deodorant, & the like
- I gave away a new puzzle (we'd just finished it that day) & passed it along to another family to enjoy via Buy Nothing
- I helped my parents book their flights to Hawaii for next fall. They aren't great at understanding how to use their companion fares, & didn't know they also had stored credit from a cancelled flight. All told, they got their desired flights for $50 out of pocket & they were thrilled
- M & I also helped my parents with a bunch of technical challenges that they bring to us when they come, and we were able to pass down a laptop that Nick no longer needs. It will help my dad with a work project he has going at the moment
- I sent two books for a neighbor of my parents (their library doesn't have digital services - very small town, & during COVID hasn't been able to re-open)
- I sponsored a 5k turkey trot through my work, and this was the week for donations & the actual event
That's it! I hope you are having a wonderful & quiet/peaceful week. What frugal things have you been up to, or things for others? Inspire us!