Saturday, March 6, 2021

Saturday happenings

I'm so done with work at the moment, and am ready to have a work free weekend. (Fingers crossed.) Next week promises to be another very busy week, so I'm going to do my best to relax & not borrow trouble from next week. 

And, I'm trying to add more pictures to the blog, so here's an example of what I typically see on my run, although the picture is from winter. It's a beautiful place for runs, walks, hikes, etc. 



And with that, here's what's on the to do list for today:
  1. Mail back a pair of Nick's shoes (too small - he's feet are growing so quickly)! I've exchanged these for the next size up
  2. Run
  3. Pick up a few groceries/snacks, using rewards
  4. Boys have soccer
  5. Pick up Nick from soccer (Sam will bike home) & drop him off at volleyball
  6. Look for a new bra at Target. I've lost 15 lbs in the last year or so, and my bra has not enjoyed the evolution. It's not fitting properly any more. 
  7. Laundry
  8. Sam has tennis this afternoon
  9. I'm doing a happy hour zoom chat with my friends (it's been rescheduled four times, as we all had a crazy week)
  10. Menu plan & create grocery list for the week

I may as well get started on #10. Here's what we're planning for the week:

  • Friday - I made a roasted pork loin with potatoes, a carrot/apple coleslaw, cherry sauce & roasted carrots. Delicious. 
  • Saturday - Nick is cooking. We have the current box of Blue Apron meals (3) & we are getting one next week (3), but that's the end for a while. We don't have time to cook full meals during the week due to activities, so we need to revert back to our "cook on weekends/eat leftovers during the work week" plan. I think he's making a chipotle chicken dish
  • Sunday - M is making rice & kebabs
  • Monday - Nick's only day without sports, so he's making a spicy beef dish
  • Tuesday - leftover kebabs & rice
  • Wednesday - gyro meat salads (or, on naan for the kids)
  • Thursday - spaghetti & meaballs
  • Friday - steak, roasted brussel sprouts & mashed potatoes
What are you up to today? Hoping it's a relaxing and productive day for you. 


10 comments:

  1. We had breakfast and I cleaned u the kitchen and put the garbage out for the garbage man. I'm always glad when all the garbage is gone for the week. I need to fold laundry too. Such an exciting life I live. LOL

    Your meals sound good! I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love when the garbage is gone - a fresh start, I suppose? :-) Hope you have a great weekend.

      Delete
  2. I'd love to know your apple/carrot slaw. Those are two things I always have and it would make a nice change-or do you need cabbage as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe for the slaw was really easy (it was a Hello Fresh recipe). The amount below served 2 generously:
      -4 oz shredded carrots
      -1 scallion/green onion, chopped
      -1 small apple, thinly sliced
      -2 tbsp mayo
      -4 tsp white wine vinegar

      You make a dressing out of the mayo & vinegar. Combine the carrots, apple & scallions, then add in the dressing. Season with salt & pepper.

      Quick, easy & using pantry staples.

      Delete
    2. Thank you-I might experiment with what we have in the house-yellow onions, and apple cider or balsamic vinegar. REcipe s a loose term, right?

      Delete
  3. What a lovely place to run/walk/hike!
    Do you mind sharing how you made your cherry sauce. It sounds fantastic!
    I can't tell you often enough what a good thing it is for your sons to cook. Mine always did and now all three are the primary cooks for their homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an absolutely beautiful place to be - it gets a little crowded on weekends, particularly during COVID, but I'm so grateful to have the space.

      The meal was a Hello Fresh, so let me share the recipe details (the below served 2):
      -4 tbsp cherry jam
      -1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon paprika spice mix. Mine came premixed, I'd say about 1/2 & 1/2 of each.
      -1 tsp white wine vinegar
      -1 tbsp butter

      Mix cinnamon/paprika spice with jam & vinegar. Microwave until warm (about 30 seconds). Stir in 1 tbsp of butter until melted. Season with salt & pepper.

      You drizzled the sauce over the pork & mashed potatoes. Delish!

      Delete
  4. You always bring me back to when my kids were all still at home. Every day was so busy running from one activity to the next. It makes my head spin just thinking about it. Sounds like you have some nice meals planned for the week. I need to get started on my menu too. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So busy! COVID has really slowed things down for the last year (my kids still aren't back at school), but things are ramping back up a bit, for which we are grateful. It's nice to have them playing sports & safely seeing friends at tennis, etc, vs staying home on the computer/phone.

      Delete
  5. I feel like I just spent the day cooking and cleaning, watching kids, But I did get in a good long walks yesterday and today.

    ReplyDelete