Friday, September 17, 2021

Frugal Friday

 Another really busy week at work. So happy it's Friday! This is my least favorite time of the year at my job - way too much going on!


Saving on things we buy

  • I've done quite a few iBotta deals lately, & earned $55 in the last few weeks. This is really unusual, as I rarely have the time or inclination to shop around for the sale prices + iBotta offers. Everything seemed to work out this time around. 
  • I bought a gift card on Raise (clicked through Rakuten first) & earned a $10 Raise promo. Went back & bought another gift card, applying the $10.

Earning money

I've been trying to slowly add more things to eBay. This week I've sold:

  • A shirt from the vacation house
  • An old remote. I wasn't super optimistic selling these, but would far prefer they get more use vs going to the landfill. I've been pleasantly surprised, and have sold 2 of the 3 I listed.
  • A pair of M's swim trunks that no longer fit
  • A dress I don't wear

Avoiding spending

  • I attended an outdoor goodbye drinks for a coworker, hosted at another coworkers house. She has a lovely outdoor space. I know she loves cooking & baking, so I brought over some goodies from the garden. I thought of buying flowers for the hostess, but know she'd prefer garden produce. I picked multiple varieties of tomatoes, shishito peppers & blueberries. In return, she sent everyone home with a large jar of honey from her bees. I'm very excited to try it. Yum, honey. 
  • Used a Rite Aid gift card to pick up movie theater snacks for Nick, and three more boxes of cereal. Earned 1059 points for the cereal (some sort of special offer) via Fetch. 
  • Got a free lunch from work (meal delivery)

Eating what we have

  • Used up leftover rice, and combined it with scrambled eggs (all baked together) & topped with cheddar cheese. It was surprisingly good, & I had it twice for lunch. 

For others

  • Uploaded my cereal receipt to Box Tops for education, earning money for the local school
  • Signed up to mentor Afghani female students, who were evacuated out, but in transition for a more permanent future. 
  • Volunteered to help someone who needs some career guidance

And, I thought I'd add the things we do every week, as a reminder for myself, if nothing else:
  • Meal plan
  • Save our shower warm up water (this is new over the last few weeks, so I'm excited to see how it will impact our garden watering bill)
  • Line dry the majority of our clothing/laundry
That's it from my side. What about you? 

8 comments:

  1. Well I did get my house cleaned and the ironing done. Also was able to purge a few items for my declutter challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great. Having a clean house always makes me feel more relaxed.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good week for you. What a great deal on the Ibotta rebates. I’ve been working on getting my RX refills so nothing too exciting. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those strange sequences, where everything came together. It's definitely not normally like that.

      Delete
  3. Good going. I love how you are going to mentor those girls.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm very excited about the opportunity.

      Delete
  4. What a great idea for a hostess gift! I'd be appreciative. I really should do the apps for savings. I finally have a phone with memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that I go in fits & spurts, which is fine. Some weeks, I upload my receipts & happen to save $1 or whatever. Other weeks, there are multiple options & I save a bit more.

      Delete