Sunday, January 9, 2022

Too spicy, & productive weekend

 I had a really productive day yesterday (hurrah), getting almost all of my chores done. I came home from Costco with more chicken than intended. I think I had a bit of "pandemic shortage" mindset, & doubled my planned purchase. That meant I ended up with a Costco sized pack of chicken breasts & tenderloins. Just one could have sufficed. 

Here's what I got up to:

  • Cleaned out my eBay closet. Removed a bunch of listings, listed them on Buy Nothing. The closet is now pretty clean
  • Cleaned out my 3 tiered tray. Recycled a bunch, found a penny & a couple of gift cards. Kept the top tray for just things that need my attention/action.
  • Picked up a rotisserie chicken from Costco (yes, in addition to the two packs of raw chicken) & took the meat off the bones, & then made a large batch of broth, which I needed for a soup recipe.
  • Made white chicken chili
  • Dropped off & picked up shoes at the cobbler. He was able to fix them!
  • Donated two large bags of books to the library
  • Went to Costco
  • Went to the grocery store
  • Picked up a bag of SAT prep books from a neighbor
  • Worked out
  • Made taco meat in the crockpot
  • Took three pounds of chicken tenderloins & turned them into chicken fajita mix. Added the spice mix & olive oil, & now have everything in the freezer, ready for a quick dinner.
  • Washed the boys sheets.
On to the "too spicy" portion of the post. I was looking for an easy, keto friendly recipe I could make in the crockpot with some of the chicken. I found a simple chicken taco recipe. Cook chicken for a few hours in the crockpot. Pull out, mix with taco seasoning, cream cheese, & salsa. I used a mild salsa, and I'm unafraid of a bit of spice, but the chicken is close to inedibly spicy. Not sure if I have the proportions wrong, or something else. I have the container in the fridge today (I was so tired after all of the above items, that I took the entire crockpot container & just plopped it into the fridge for solving today). ;-) Anyway, I think I'll add more chicken (I have no shortage of this), more cream cheese, and taste it again. I'd hate to have to rinse some of it, but that will be my backup plan, if adding more chicken doesn't help dial back the spiciness.

On to today's list of things:
  • Go through calendar (work & personal) for the week
  • Make up a ski menu & packing list, in the event we go skiing next weekend
  • Make chicken & dumplings for the freezer
  • Give away more on Buy Nothing
  • List a few items on Nextdoor. Traffic is low there, but I have a few items that  I'll cross post from FB
  • Work out
  • Laundry
  • Pick up the house
  • Shred/freeze a brick of parmesan
  • Book the boys booster shots
  • Email the store about a promo that didn't work
  • Make taquitos
  • Stretch
  • Come up with a plan for the rest of the chicken. Wish me luck ;-) 
  • Pick the ripe lemons
What about you? What are you up to today? Any ideas for the overly spicy chicken? 

11 comments:

  1. Busy, busy, busy! I think your ideas for the spicy chicken will work out just fine. Weird that it is so spicy though using a mild salsa. Enjoy what's left of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I found out what made it so spicy - I grabbed the wrong container out of the spice cabinet. The cayenne pepper was in the front, from my fajita marinade prep. 2 tbsp of cayenne pepper is quite different than 2 tbsp of taco seasoning!!! I actually rinsed the chicken numerous times, & then remade the recipe, which seemed to work.

      Delete
  2. Additional cream cheese and chicken should really tone down the heat.
    You got a lot done this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cayenne pepper instead of taco seasoning, I later discovered. I ended up having to rinse the chicken multiple times, & then reseason. What a fool! Oh well, chicken is salvaged.

      Delete
  3. You had a very productive weekend. You could always add a bit of brown sugar or honey to tone down the spicy chicken. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered my problem - grabbed the wrong container out of the spice cabinet, & used cayenne pepper instead of taco seasoning. That will make a huge difference! ;-) I had to rinse the chicken multiple times, but eventually got it. I did add agave & honey, which helped with the residual heat.

      Delete
  4. I think that cream cheese and chicken will cut down on the spiciness. You really got lots accomplished. I bought two packages of bscb at Publix and cooked it along with thighs in a cooking bag with Kraft Italian Dressing. It is not original, but the chicken can be used for any dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a basic recipe, but a good one! And you're right, it's very versatile.

      Delete
  5. You did have a busy Saturday, and today looks to be just as busy.

    Me, all I did was get my to do list ready for next week and a bit of cleaning.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting prepped for the week ahead is always a great task to accomplish. It helps you be more productive. Good work!

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a great recipe - I will check it out! The chicken stocking is real these days! :-)

    ReplyDelete