Friday, April 15, 2022

Frugal Friday

While I survived my first week in the office last week, I had to leave by noon on Tuesday, as my office mate had COVID, and office policies require me to test & then stay home for a week. Back to working from home for the rest of the week, but luckily, no COVID.  

Here are a few frugal highlights from the week.

Saving on things we buy

  • We ended up with two free cookies, when I treated Sam & a friend to a lunch out, between soccer & tennis
  • I used $25 in grocery store rewards to offset a stop. My out of pocket was $.11. If only every grocery store run was like that!

Earning money

  • Nothing for myself, but as always, driving around the kids to their jobs. Nick made a bunch of money reffing back to back games on Saturday, so that was a win. 

Avoiding spending

  • M & I opted for another date by the pool on Friday, heating up leftovers & catching up. It was more relaxing than going to a restaurant, and it was free.

Eating what we have

  • We managed to use up the last of the Hello Fresh freebie box
  • I bought hamburger buns, in order to entice the teens to eat burgers from the freezer. The addition of buns really sells it for them
  • We defrosted fesenjan (a Persian chicken, almond & pomegrante stew like dish) & had that over rice one night

For others:

  • One of Nick's friends unexpectedly needed a ride home on Saturday night, so I got out of bed & took him home.
  • I helped set up the soccer field for a game on Sunday
  • Cleaned up trash at the field while I was walking
  • Signed up to mentor teenage girls in tech
That's it from my side. What about you? Any wins to share?

8 comments:

  1. That was one heck of a bargain grocery stop!
    I know it is weird to be back in the office then back at home. I am bracing for another round of covid, while hoping it won't happen!
    I think with teens you have to do whatever it takes to make meals at home enticing. Buying buns is a small concession to make frozen burgers appealing. I used to make a sauce similar to our kids favorite locally owned burger joint to make "at home" taste like take out. I did not want them wasting their earnings on fast food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also make a burger sauce as well! I'm totally fine with small tweaks to entice them. :-)

      My grocery store has awesome gift card deals, that generate lots of rewards. We buy all of our travel gift cards through them, and then use for flights. It's great.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you did not have Covid. Even the mild cases are not fun. I suppose this might be the was we all return to offices-making sure that the spread is minimized. Your boys keep you on your toes getting them to all their events and activities. I hope you have a good weekend with your parents and mom's extended stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a lot to navigate, with trying to manage all of the requirements, but luckily I won't miss in person time next week. I have two team members flying in from another country for time with me, so I would be really sad if that got cancelled.

      Thanks - looking forward to the time!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE grocery store rewards.
    Sorry about the quick return to at-home work. It really does feel like everyone we know is getting COVID.
    And I, for one, LOVE leftovers. Eating them by a pool also sounds like the best. It's rainy and cold here and I am just so, so ready for SUN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cooled way off here, but yes, the sunshine is a nice treat!

      We have had so many cases of COVID at work, and our office requires vaccination, so that's even with all of the precautions. But yes, back to at home, but after my last negative COVID test, I can return next week.

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a great shop.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is good news that you do not have Covid. What a way to return to your office to work, right?! Nice deal on the grocery store rewards. A date by the pool sounds like a great way to spend an evening.

    ReplyDelete