Saturday, April 9, 2022

Saturday Happenings

I was up early this morning, likely because I couldn't stay awake last night, & was in bed a good 90 minutes before the kids. ;-) One of the pitfalls of parenting teens - they can outlast you in the evening every single time! 

It was a really busy & tiring week. On Thursday, I had close to six hours of kid activities, and that was after a day at the office. Nick had one of his last tennis matches, and it went into a very long tie breaker. Due to a conflict on the soccer carpool schedule, I drove both ways & after dropping everyone off, I didn't get home until 9:30. 

On Wednesday, Sam passed his permit test, which we are all very excited about! In California, after you pass the written test, you need two hours of instruction by a driving school before your permit is "authorized", so he will be doing that tomorrow. I'm grateful we could find someone who was available so soon. Most places were booked out at least a month, if not 8 weeks for a weekend spot. Sam also found out that day that he landed a summer job working at a sports camp. This is a camp he attended & really enjoyed, so he's super excited for his summer first job. It was quite an exciting day for Sam, & his teen milestones.

We are in such a transitional phase with the kids - we can see the end of all of the driving, & the scheduling & the non-stop go, go, go, but yet... we are still deep into it right now! I hate evening driving, but I do love hearing what other teens are up to, how they joke with each other, and all of the fun/silly things that happen in the car.

Okay, onto a busy weekend. I thought I'd get a chance to hike with a friend on Sunday, but Sam got asked to sub for another team (he's been waiting for this offer all season), so we will need to find another day.

  • Nick is reffing four games back to back, and needs a ride to/from the field, plus potentially either food dropped off or packed. Need to see how much time he has between games, & what he prefers.
  • Sam has a club game, and I'll walk during warmups. If possible, catch the coach ahead of the game to see about Nick attending a practice in the next few weeks.
  • Menu plan for next week
  • Shopping list
  • Costco
  • Grocery store
  • Produce stand
  • Nick's tennis lesson
  • Figure out how to get Nick's rackets restrung (before his game on Tuesday)
  • Make chicken curry
  • Work out
  • Wash all bedding
  • Laundry 
  • Make room for treadmill
  • Go through all receipts, add to budget & Fetch
And, for visual interest, I came around the corner on a walk with M last weekend, & almost tripped over this guy. He was within petting distance. (I did not pet him.) He was so close! 


What are you all up to this weekend? 


10 comments:

  1. I'm exhausted reading. Well done Sam. My daughter called and said she broke her violin bridge. She'll be home and doesn't have to have it,so will take it for a repair. She could find somewhere near school but has no spare time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being in college was such a busy time in my life, so I can relate! I'm sure she appreciates all of the help & support, even with small things like errands when she's home

      Delete
  2. Another busy weekend for you. I read your posts and remember what those days were like . Often I wish I could relive one or two of them.
    OH and a new driver! I also remember those days. Wishing you much patience and wishing Sam good judgement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it's a positive that California first requires drivers lessons with a trained driving instructor, because the first person who takes him out for a two hour drive will not be us!

      Delete
  3. You are building the foundation for your adult sons future relationships, and they will reflect the time and attention you are giving them now- good job mom and dad!

    I would love our granddaughters to be close enough that we could help with the running around and cheerleading them stuff, but alas, we are not. So instead we have a hedonistic weekend, lol.

    Sailing class, walks on the beach, spiritual services plus a post-service picnic, the play/musical Falsetto's followed by dinner out at PF Changs using a gift card we received. Can I confess here that I'm not very excited about PF Changs, as nice as being given the gift card was? I don't thing we've been back to these bastion chains of the 90's since our girls left home for college!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, we also have a PF Changs gift card (also a gift), and need to use it. Luckily, Sam loves PF Changs (and, Panda Express, which I think is worse!) I need to order takeout or something. I would much prefer takeout PF Changs with a bottle of wine at home, vs eating at the restaurant.

      Delete
  4. You are busy as usual but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel, right? Congrats to Sam! How exciting it must be for him. I spent some time with family and some with friends this weekend. So, all is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is light at the end of the tunnel! It's crazy to me, but we are in the home stretch of all this driving. Glad you got a chance to spend time with family & friends this weekend!

      Delete
  5. What a week!
    We had a very busy weekend. We left Friday at 6:45 am, and did two 12+ hour days of driving with short pit-stops to see some cool stuff in a neighbouring province.
    It was fun, but I am so happy to be home and stretch my legs!
    This morning was church, then home for lunch and I prepped tomorrow's supper (with those discounted zucchini's I mentioned) and then my daughter and I went to a free piano concert locally. So busy, but good + lots of memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, long drives are so hard for me. I get very antsy. Glad you were able to see cool stuff in another province. And, yay for a free piano concert & discounted zucchinis!

      Delete