Friday, April 22, 2022

Frugal Friday

 My parents are here this week, so there have been several meals out, & extra groceries & the like. 


Saving on things we buy

  • I adjusted my mom's flight (per her request) & saved $40 due to the flight change. 

Earning money

  • Sold a few small things on eBay. Not much, but junk out of the house & money in.
  • Drove the kids around to reffing games, where they earned money

Avoiding spending

  • We've eaten all dinners at home, despite some crazy schedules. 

Eating what we have

  • We definitely bought more groceries than usual, but I made chicken shawarma & chicken fajitas a couple of nights, M made kebabs & rice, & my parents cooked a few nights as well. 
  • The kids have eaten all of the Easter treats, as well as the chocolate covered fruit that I purchased as a dessert option. 
  • Froze a bunch of leftovers for future use. 

For others

  • Helped my parents save $750 on a flight, by using miles instead of paying out of pocket. 
  • Attended training to mentor girls in tech. 
What about you? Any wins to share?

4 comments:

  1. You are so good to your parents, and I just love that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a paycheck fiasco, so I guess I really need to figure out saving where I can. It's nice that you can both host your parents but also lean into them for the boys. I love reading about you making life work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We live in Canada and had two US cheques to cash. Normally this requires some fee (up to 10%), but we learned about a way to circumvent this at our bank by opening a specific account and today deposited the cheques and were able to get EVERY penny back in USD without anything skimmed off the top. This felt like SUCH A great win.
    Lots of 50% items at the grocery store yesterday, especially bread products which don't expire for days and I just toss into the freezer and defrost as needed.
    And thrifting. About $75 for 15 articles of clothing including new cleats for my son, and Birkenstocks for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely frugal week. Having company makes any savings awesome in my books.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete