Friday, September 22, 2023

Frugal Friday

 A few frugal things we've been up to this week. 

Saving on things we buy

  • Bought lounge passes from a coworker, saving 50% off the rate I can normally get them for. I was hoping our business class upgrades would clear on our trip, but that seems super unlikely, so we can have a mimosa & snack at the lounge & meet up with our friend who is flying in from Seattle ahead of our flight. 

Earning money

  • Sold some Orange Theory workout swag on eBay. 

Avoiding spending

  • I was very, very tempted to order takeout on Friday, when I got home unexpectedly much later than planned, but put together a not fancy but fine dinner with some items on hand. 
  • I have a credit on one of my credit cards, so remembered to use that card to buy groceries at Trader Joes
  • Used a gift card to buy dinner out for the four of us for "family dinner" (rare & hard to plan, with the teens on a weekend). Covered the overage with an Amex gift card. 
  • Whipped up a banana bread with Sam, when he needed to take a treat to school. 

Eating what we have

  • Dug out some fresh mozzarella & tomatoes to accompany basil from the garden, to make up a caprese salad. 
  • Made a double batch of protein bars for Sam, who loves them as a quick snack before soccer practice
  • I discovered a container of grilled chicken sausages in the freezer, and they are close to needing to be tossed. I added one to my salad, and will try to work through them this month, to avoid waste. 
  • M offered to make dinner on a very busy week night, so I pulled out two small packages of steak & leftover hoagie rolls, plus a package of provolone that I bought at some point during the summer. He made Philly Cheesesteaks for dinner, and they were a big hit!
For others
  • Treated my sister to first class flight upgrades on both Portland to SFO & return legs of her flights. I also added my upgrades to my manager's work flight, as he is the one who helped get our boys upgraded on the flight to Dubai last spring. It's looking more like these upgrades will expire (they only clear based on availability). If that happens, I'll give away the rest to coworkers & friends. 
What about you? Any wins to share?

4 comments:

  1. Nice savings on the lounge passes. Glad you sold something on eBay, they have been slow sales for me lately. Nice to use your cc credits to get groceries, which is like getting them for free.

    There is a lady on TikTok called the mustard lady who eats chicken sausages regularly. I've been wanting to try them thanks to her. I didn't think I would like them, but I tried and liked ground chickens, so I might like the sausages too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't listed anything on eBay in a long time, so I'm sure that's why things are slow. I was thrilled when I got an offer for close to the price & got it mailed out.

      I really like chicken sausages, I just forget they are in the freezer.

      Delete
  2. Wow, what great savings you had this week. I love using my cards to get points and then use them on groceries.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some good wins. In reality, it was a lazy kitchen week, as I was super busy helping Sam with college applications.

      Delete