Monday, September 11, 2023

Tokyo, by the numbers

 I sometimes get asked what a standard work travel day looks like, so here are some details:

  • Up at 5:30 am (Sunday, PST). Coffee, finished last minute packing
  • Made final notes for the teens/M for the day
  • 30 minutes on the elliptical
  • Lyft picked me up at 8 am
  • Got to SFO just before 9 am. Made it through security & went to the lounge.
  • Filled my water bottle, & had some fruit & eggs for breakfast.
  • Got to the gate at 9:40, exactly at the pre-boarding phase. I board ahead of "group 1", which I'm not sure if that's a blessing or a curse. Always room for your bags, but more time on the plane!
  • I was flying business, which was a gift, despite not sleeping. 
  • Flight was delayed, so we didn't take off until 11:30. I try to stand up (it's a single seat, and I'm not in the aisle, so there's room to stand) & walk around a bit until the flight actually leaves.
  • Flight was approximately 10.5 hours long. I watched two movies (some really awful Jennifer Lopez/Josh Duhamel wedding movie + the original Fast & The Furious), plus a bunch of episodes of House, which I liked. I also read a bit.
  • On the flight, I had my pre-ordered meal (chicken curry + salad), skipped the dessert & alcohol. It was hard to say no to a glass of rose on the flight! I skipped the snack & breakfast service. I mostly had tea, because it was freezing on the flight, despite wearing pants, two layers on top, and having the blankets. 
  • Landed at approximately 2 pm JST. Got through security & customs by 2:45, in a taxi by 3. (The taxi line was super long).
  • Got to my hotel around 3:30. Unpacked, and then headed to the gym. This is all part of the plan to stay awake until as close as possible to evening in Japan. 
  • Did an hour on the elliptical, and read on my Kindle.
  • Back to my room to do some work, catch up on family stuff & watch some Netflix.
  • I also ordered room service & got a new menu item (I've been to this hotel many, many times) - the Power Bowl, which was a bunch of veggies, quinoa & chicken. I was starving, and hadn't eaten in maybe 15 hours, so I also had a side of truffle fries. Both were great. 
  • Stayed up until 7 pm, and I tried to make it to 7:30, but no chance. Woke up at 3 am JST, because #jetlag.
  • Finally got out of bed at 4, admitting to myself that I wasn't going to fall back asleep. My back was killing me, after the plane time, plus the generally inactive day.
  • Worked from 4-6 am. The espresso machine in my room wasn't working, and I had a wicked caffeine headache. Hotel restaurant wasn't open, so I had a Coke Zero out of the mini bar. I do not regularly drink soda, but my body really appreciated the caffeine.
  • Ran on the treadmill at the gym. Let's just say that they don't have the AC on (it's 90 degrees currently in Tokyo), the treadmills don't have fans, and they still have the COVID protocol plexiglass shields surrounding each treadmill. It was like running in a sauna! 
  • Picked up a to go latte at the restaurant on the way back to my room. 
Off to shower & head to the office, where I have meetings from 9-7. After that, my goal is to stay awake & sleep from 8-4 tonight (then, 9-5 tomorrow, if possible). I'll likely pick something up on my way back to the hotel. Typically, I have work dinners every evening, but this trip was unplanned & I'm the only "visitor" in town, so no dinners! I'm ever so grateful I can relax a bit in the evenings. 

A day(ish) in the life on a work trip!

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recap. Makes me so happy I’m retired :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Work travel is definitely at the top of the list of things I don't enjoy about my job! The jet lag is super difficult, on top of just how much time is lost in transit. It sounds a lot more glamorous than it actually is!

      Delete
    2. Agreed. I once had to stand for an entire day of meetings on a Monday in Stockholm (drinking their way too strong coffee) just to keep from closing my eyes. Hope you can normalize the sleep through the week. Be well

      Delete
  2. I know this is something you are used to doing but it sounds like a trip from Hell to me.___anne in the kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it definitely is! The first few times were horrific. Now, it's the same, but you really do lower your expectations until this is the norm for a work trip.

      Delete
  3. Do not miss travel!

    Hopefully the lack of evening dinners means you can explore a bit more than you have in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Less exploring, but I was able to work more in the evenings. Because I'm heading out on vacation starting Sunday (next week), I really needed to get a lot done & unblock other people before I take off.

      Delete
  4. Hopefully you have managed to get some sleep. I know when I travel sleep is hard to come by.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While not "great", it was definitely the best I've ever slept on a trip to Japan. I'm guessing the lack of alcohol & no evening activities both really helped.

      Delete
  5. I travel internationally for work as well. A little trick I do to make sure I always have caffeine is pack several crystal light (or Walmart brand) water mixes that have caffeine in them. They are small and tuck in anywhere.

    ReplyDelete