Friday, December 28, 2018

Frugal Friday

It doesn't feel like a particularly frugal week, as we were back & forth for the holidays, stocking up on groceries, and doing house projects at our vacation house. But, we did have a few frugal wins:


  • Found soccer cleats for Nick for $6 at the Nike outlet. We bought two pair, so he can rotate between games & practices, as they get wet & don't dry out. 
  • Very limited meals out. Lunch at Costco after we flew in to Portland, and stopped at a local Costco to pick up groceries.
  • M & I had an unexpected day without the kids, and shared a burger & each had a beer at a local brewery. After that, we came home & ate leftovers.
  • Menu planned for the holidays, including when we are entertaining with the family at our house.
  • Brought a few things from home (cilantro). I've made guacamole twice with it. 
How about you? Any frugal wins for the week?

5 comments:

  1. Spent zero money on boxing day items, since the 22nd of December only spent $10 on bread for stuffing. Today is a grocery shop though. That day we also spent $687 for a portable generator after so many thousands of people lost power due to the nasty pre-Christmas storm here (still many in outer islands that are without power, they are having to rebuild power grid in some places). Got a month free of acorn tv (British online tv) after I had already cancelled. I only pay for a month about every 6 months to catch up on my favorite shows. I am now meal planning to the end of the month. Still on mission to empty freezer but it looks much better now that the turkey is gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice work! And, I think the generator could be a good longer term cost savings (reducing any need to replace groceries, pay for a hotel, etc) if there's a long outage.

      Delete
  2. Heya i'm for the first time here. I found this board and I to find
    It really helpful & it helped me out a lot. I'm hoping to present one thing again and aid others such as you helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any funds saved us a bonus these holiday weeks. We need to be more mindful of eating out costs, our money pit. Sharing snacks but eating at home gets you out of the house for a lot less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've gotten really good about the minimal eating out over the past two years. We just treat it as a very rare thing. The kids tried to push for fast food this afternoon when we were running errands ("town" at the vacation house is about a 45 minute drive for any reasonable sized stores), but we agreed to wait for lunch at home. We have so much food I'm worried about throwing out - the last thing I want to do is to waste more by eating out.

      Delete