Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Getting things done at the beach

I'm still looking pretty funny (my face bruises are very colorful), but my finger is feeling better & the swelling is going down. My insect bites (btw, the urgent care says there is a new strain of mosquitos that are very potent, and the first time you are bit by them, you may have a very strong reaction) are not healing much yet, but have stopped itching. I'll take it!

I haven't been working out (my neck hurt from the whiplash hitting the tree) & I've had a nagging headache for the past few days. Today I felt better, and did a strength/cardio workout + yoga. Working out just makes me feel so good, I try to prioritize it whenever I can.

We've been doing work around our vacation house. Working in the yard, buying new patio chairs (ours ripped, after 10+ years of 365 days of exposure at the coast). I suppose that's not a bad lifetime for the chairs, given how much abuse they get in the rain. It's not feasible to pull them inside, as we'd rather replace the chairs every 10 years vs having people dragging them up & down the stairs inside & dinging the walls & paint, etc. We also met with a contractor about replacing our front door, and staining our deck. I've been working on the inside of the house. I've gone through the fridge, freezer & pantry, tossing expired food. I also bleached the shower curtain liner, which needed a good cleaning.

We went to Costco several times to buy supplies & stock up, and tomorrow will order a new fridge. Our has been leaking, and that's a real recipe for disaster in a house where people aren't constantly around. We also ordered a new patio table (with a fire center - so excited). That should be delivered the week of the 4th of July. The Oregon coast is almost always chilly in the evening, year round, so the fire will be an awesome way to extend our time outdoors in the evening.

We're also considering a fire pit area around the back of the house, but we're no sure if we'll get to it this year.

I'm flying to Hawaii tomorrow with my sister and BFF, and we are all so very excited. We've discussed a girls trip to Hawaii for at least a decade, so making it happen is fantastic. When I get back from Hawaii, I'll pick up the boys & we'll spend some time at the beach before M & the rest of the family arrives. I need to rent a carpet cleaner & make sure the carpets get cleaned. I also need to clean the interior & exterior of all of the windows, as moss blows in due to the wet weather. Maintaining a house on the coast is very different from our house in California, that's for sure!

What about you? Are you doing any maintenance or projects on your house this summer?

10 comments:

  1. Most of what we had planned for the year is done. After 4 weeks of being told no, persistence paid off and we were able to order our King bedroom suite from Costco. They didn't have whiteglove service to most of Vancouver Island so just said no. We contacted the manufacturer who searched out the service for our area (they won't just send us the furniture, must have whiteglove service) and we had to pay $390 more than the rest of the country - but we will get the furniture we want! Anything else locally was far more expensive and much lower quality so it was a no brainer for us to be persistent. It still is going to take up to 5 weeks though - at least it's in the works. Today we are off to buy a king size mattress! Have a blast in Hawaii, a girls trip sounds fabulous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great news that you were able to get the bedroom suite you wanted!

      Delete
  2. I hope you get better every day. We bought a dining room patio set a few weeks ago and it arrived in 3 different packages. Hubby put it all together. Our last one bit the dust after 18 years. So we had to replace it. No other projects right now.

    Have a safe flight to Hawaii and lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel lucky that M & Nick put together the patio set. It's up & ready to go for the week with family!

      Delete
  3. You do have a lot going on. No doubt a beach home requires much more effort to maintain. I agree about replacing anything sketchy (like the fridge) when no one is there regularly to check on things. We did walk into the lake house once to find the refrigerator had quit working, I keep very little in the actual refrigerator but the freezer side was a huge mess. Ice had melted everything else had thawed. It was a gigantic mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, that sounds awful! The freezer really only leaks when it's being used (so far), but even that can be too much, and we've had to dry things out after we had guests & the house was empty. It also required painting, but luckily the flooring wasn't damaged.

      Delete
  4. Well I hope you have some good stories when you return from your girls trip. I love the Oregon coast, we vacationed there every year with our three kids. We stayed in Netarts at this little dive hotel. Saved all year to take them there for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Netarts! I'm with you - I adore the Oregon coast so very much.

      Delete
  5. A new strain of mosquitoes??? That's really not fair, the existing ones are bad enough.

    We have a pile of work to do around the house but honestly I've been ignoring all of it. I'm going to take it one step at a time. One very slow step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in that same spot. I have a giant list of things, but I'm much slower than usual for whatever reason. So, giving myself some grace,& working through my chores & tasks without freaking out about my lack of progress. I hope you are making slow & steady progress as well!

      Delete