Monday, June 17, 2019

The time I hit a tree with my face

What an adventure we've been having over here!

On Friday we drove from our house in the bay area to north of Portland. The drive was uneventful, but the Portland traffic was terrible. We timed it to attempt to clear Portland before rush hour, but a series of accidents starting around Eugene meant that we were in traffic for a few hours. What a hard way to finish a long drive. The kids did great, and everyone was awesome in the car. My parents were THRILLED when we arrived.

We celebrated M's birthday & Father's Day, and had a big mountain biking extravaganza on Saturday. The kids did well in their super advanced riding group. They each went over the handle bars once, and Nick fell into a creek, but they were both uninjured. I rode the beginner trails, and many of the same trails I rode last year without difficulty. Unfortunately, as I was going down a steep incline, my front tire started to go off the side of the trail (picture a really steep drop on one side, and the trail being quite narrow). I pulled my tire back & managed to get going, but had too much speed. I looked up just to see a tree. I hit the tree incredibly hard with my head/face, and flew off the bike over the hill. I'm grateful I wasn't seriously injured. I broke a finger, and the visor of my bike helmet broke across the bridge of my nose. It left a large cut, and I now have two developing black eyes. The nurse who evaluated me is a little concerned that I have a deviated septum. Again, grateful I was okay other than those issues, because it was a super hard hit. That's why you always need a helmet!

Now that the black eyes are developing, I think M is a little afraid to be seen with me in public, for fear that people will think he's abusing me. We got some strange looks on Father's Day!

We're at the beach house & the weather is stunning. We went to a local wine bar & relaxed, sat in the sun & celebrated M for Father's Day.

Unfortunately, today will include a trip to Urgent Care. I was bitten by something during my yard work last week. The bites aren't going away & are huge, swelling & infected. :-( They hurt like the dickens & feel worse. I'm hoping the doctor can prescribe or recommend something that will get rid of the bites quickly.

That's all from my side. I will try to post a few pictures of the beach...aka my favorite place in the world! Update: now with a picture from yesterday afternoon.


14 comments:

  1. Well this little vacay has certainly been hard on your body! I know exactly what you mean about going out in public with bruises/black eyes, I am a bruiser and am constantly finding large new ones and sometimes get looks. I hope the rest of your holiday is a little bit calmer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, the vacation has been great, minus the injuries. my parents are fabulous & the boys have such a great time with them. Now we're focused on getting things sorted at our vacation house. Because it's near the beach, there's always a ton of repair work to be done.

      Delete
  2. Oh no! I hope your injuries heal quickly. What a way to start your summer vacation. Lovely beach picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, you poor thing. Sounds like quite the experience. Portland traffic can be the worst. When we go to the coast we always dread that part of our trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, it was definitely an adventure. And yes, we tried to leave super early to avoid that Portland traffic, and we were right on pace to pass through early enough. But, the Eugene traffic, followed by it just being a Friday, really slowed us down.

      Delete
  4. Oh geeze! I am so sorry about your accident, but glad it was not worse. I understand your husband's dilemma. Several years ago I gave myself a black eye (results of a terrifying very realistic dream) We had a party the following night and several people "jokingly" said things to TheHub about causing the black eye. What was worse was telling them I was fighting while dreaming about a man trying to gouge my eyes out and did it to myself. I don't think anyone believed me and it was the honest truth. I have since learned not to read books about a serial killer and his m.o. right before bedtime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also cannot read scary books before bed for sure! Your poor husband - I'm sure he loved spending time with you & getting judged. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Have him slam his face into a tree so it will look like you got him good. That sounded like a terrifying accident. Replace the helmet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty scary alright. Definitely replacing the helmet. The one I was wearing was brand new, and ended up ditching the first one I tried on, as it didn't fit properly. So grateful!

      Delete
  6. I am so sorry you hit that tree and that your face and finger were hurt. I also hope they get those bites under control. That is not a fun way to spend a vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely not what I was expecting! I'm hoping that by tomorrow, I can put a little makeup on my face, which will reduce some of the coloring.

      Delete
  7. OUCH! Your poor face and finger! So glad that you weren't hurt worse but that's bad enough as it is. May the bruises fade quickly, and the pain quicker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty much back to normal! One bruise left on my face, and my finger didn't enjoy all of the water sports in Hawaii, but otherwise, my whiplash feels so much better, and I'm able to completely turn my head without any pain. Hurrah!

      Delete