Saturday, August 27, 2022

Saturday Happenings

I was originally supposed to leave for Monterey at 7 this morning, to take Nick to a soccer game, but M & I worked out a different plan last night. He's taking Nick to Monterey, and another friend is awesome, & driving Sam to Watsonville later this afternoon. Both of these places are an hour+ from our house. How we ended up with the two longest away games on the same day is a mystery. 

My work week ended up worse than I expected. My Monday meeting was awful, my Thursday meeting was a huge improvement, and better than I'd hoped. Then, I got some really terrible news about the team, and I have to deal with it next week in Tokyo. I'll also have a proactive conversation with my manager, because.... this is not sustainable, and to say I'm not enjoying work would be an understatement. My work stress really leveled off in the past few years, but now it feels like I'm making up for lost time. 

I was up late last night, trying to get the last of my COVID requirements approved. Finally, six hours after submitted, Japan accepted my COVID test. My coworkers all went through in a few minutes, so not sure why mine took so long, but it definitely made me worry. United has also accepted all of my documents, so I'm cleared for check in there. As much as I don't want to go on the trip, I've been through a tremendous amount of effort, so want to see it through. Add in the team stuff I have to deal with, and it's a must do at this point.

Since I'm not heading to Monterey, I added myself to the wait list of a workout class for this morning, and got in. I could use a hard workout. I snacked all evening long last night, while we waited for Nick to get back from tennis. It was not great. I need to be much more vigilant of not snacking before/after dinner.

On to today. Here's what's on the plan:

  • Workout class
  • Finish packing
  • Check in for flight
  • Sort out headphones that aren't working
  • Laundry/wash Nick's uniform, as he has a second game tomorrow
  • Help Nick with ref game signups (correlated to the family calendar)
  • Finalize list for M, while I'm gone
  • Make caprese salad
  • Work a bit in the garden
  • Download books for the flight
  • Research tennis options with Nick (he's graduated from his current lessons)
What about you? What are you up to today? 

10 comments:

  1. I don't know what you do but I'm reading "...deal with it in Tokyo next week" like 😦 i hope it all goes well. I also remember you never sleep on the plane, so sending you strength!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely don't sleep on flights, but this time, maybe I'll be exhausted enough to get in a mini nap, or something.

      We're making team changes that will result in someone's role going away.

      Delete
  2. I was cruising very good get my stuff done, then whop, hit a wall. We had a storm last night and between thunder, lightning and terrified dog I got no sleep. I'm taking a needed break, but now about to tackle the kitchen and last of laundry. My daughter had a lot of thrift store finds sitting in assorted bags, so got those light washed and hanging to dry. Too many small loads but she scored some nice finds so want to make sure they're handled delicately. She also has a book buying compulsion, mixed in with library. I got those she owns on her book shelf, and library ready for return. It was a bigger job than it should have been. Pup needs his walk too, and now, I guess we're meeting friends for dinner. Safe travels. I hope your situation improves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you've had a really good day! Enjoy dinner with your friends. One of my girlfriends just invited me to a weekend at a cabin nearby, and I'm so excited. I need the break, and the girl time. Now I'll have that to look forward to

      Delete
  3. I hope you can get some better work balance soon. Safe travels next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just found your blog - happy birthday!

      Delete
  4. After four weeks of being ill, not getting mail from PO, and not washing my hair. I am all better today with clean hair. So, I also went into a store for the first time in a month and got to the farmer's market, buying peaches and squash. It was a good day.
    I hope your trip to Japan goes well, including the flight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you got a chance to get out again, and the farmers market sounds great! I love fresh peaches. We get more berries & citrus here, but peaches are harder to find.

      Delete