Friday, February 10, 2023

Frugal Friday

With the cost of groceries, I've been paying more attention than ever to store offers, rewards, & the like. There have been a few wins in that regard lately, although it does require some time & attention. 

Saving on things we buy

  • I picked up some buns at the grocery store, and checked for any iBotta offers against my receipt. Earned $.50 for something I'd already bought, which is always a nice surprise. 
  • Nick is planning to attend two weeks of tennis training this summer. I used an early bird discount, plus a credit for when a few days of camp got rained out, cutting the cost by 70%. 
  • Ordered new soccer cleats for Nick, using a gift card (I purchased it a month or so ago, and earned grocery store rewards for the purchase). I also clicked through Rakuten, and earned $10 back. 
  • Used a few Safeway coupons to save a bit off of a purchase, although failed to notice that my $5 birthday offer was a reward I need to clip, vs applied automatically. Next time, I suppose. I also uploaded my receipts to Fetch & iBotta, saving a bit more. 

Earning money

  • Helped Sam fill out his payroll forms, for his part time soccer coaching job.
  • Similarly, filled out his tax returns for 2022, and for $14.99 (California cost money to file, federal was free), he's getting $100 or so back. That will go into his college account.

Avoiding spending

  • I thought of using a gift card to treat myself after my MRI on Wednesday, but waited until I got home to have some tea. Although it wouldn't have been out of pocket spending, I still have the money to use for another time. 

Eating what we have

  • I'm continuing to eat random leftovers for breakfast & lunch, on days I eat at home. I had a chicken patty & fried rice for one meal, soup for another, and a cheese quesadilla. 
  • I also had two smoothies, using up a smoothie mix that M purchased, and no one liked. It was super heavy on the kale flavor. I was able to remove about 1/2 of the kale, then add a banana, some protein powder & soy milk, and had those for two meals this week. They are out of my freezer, and it was a healthy & filling meal.

For others

  • Gave stuff away on Buy Nothing, volunteered a couple of hours of my time at work, and arranged for a few carpools - saving other parents time is always a win!
What about you? Any wins to share for the week?

3 comments:

  1. Grocery shopping is not for the faint of heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did well and like the other poster said grocery shopping right now is not for the faint of heart.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so shocked by the huge grocery price increases today. I can't keep up with it. Sounds like you had a good week. How I love eating leftovers for lunch. I like not having to prepare anything. I can just heat & eat and add a salad on the side. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete