Friday, January 19, 2024

Frugal Friday

 It's actually been a pretty frugal week around here, despite (or maybe because?) being sick. 

Saving on things we buy

  • I picked up a really terrible cold last weekend, and felt abysmal on Monday. I used a Door Dash offer, combined with a gift card & credit card perks (comes with $5/month for Door Dash, which I rarely use, so they can stack up) to have lunch delivered. 

Earning money

  • Nothing yet, but I did finally list a few items on FB market place. 

Avoiding spending

  • I used a free night certificate for the night we spent near a college on our tour last weekend. Additionally, because I have hotel status, I got free parking ($15) + free water + some snacks from the little shop ($15). It was very sweet of the front desk agent, & she let Sam pick out a few things he wanted. 
  • When I cancelled our Whistler flights, I was surprised to get any of the money back as a refund (I got a partial refund, and a partial future ticket credit).

Eating what we have

  • I made spaghetti & meatballs & garlic bread, entirely out of freezer/pantry staples, which was a nice win. 
  • I used up two cans of green beans, which were on my "use it up" list for the month.
  • I've been slowly working my way through the breakfast sandwiches we bought, for easy meals.
  • Made the last of some waffles for the teens.
  • I tried a blondie mix from Trader Joes, but none of us enjoyed it, so I tossed it after we'd each had a piece. 

For others

  • Volunteered to help someone at work with a project they are overwhelmed by. 
That's it from my side. Any wins to share on your end? 

6 comments:

  1. That was very sweet of the hotel clerk to let Sam pick out some treats too. I made up a lasagna meat sauce and stored it in the freezer for when I have noodles and cottage cheese to go with it. I'm sorry you have a bad cold and hope you get to feeling better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, lasagna is always a great thing to have in the freezer!

      Delete
  2. I hope the cold leaves you pretty quickly.
    I love having things in the freezer I can cobble a meal from quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm feeling better. Not 100%, but so much better than earlier in the week.

      Delete
  3. I discovered that my son has difficulty knowing which foods go with others. We decided to make up zip loc bags with some coordinating foods. Last night he confidently chose from the pantry. No more college boy dinners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea! Mine default to some real basics! Mac & cheese, smoothies, taquitos, etc. We try to keep easy options on hand for them

      Delete