However, within the budgets that we can control, I saw great results.
Categories where we were under or right at budget:
- Childcare - under by $545 (our nanny wasn't available for much of the month)
- Cleaning - we cancelled the service, and saved $25
- Dining out - we didn't eat out as a family in January, but there were a few random individual item purchases. Under by $104
- Entertainment - under by $16
Categories where we were over budget:
- Gas - we had lots of soccer tournaments, and were over by $33
- Groceries - over by $81. I guess offset by the reduction in dining out? :-(
- Insurance, over by $1515. Our homeowner's policy for the year.
- Alcohol - over by $8. We bought champagne to celebrate our closing
- Utilities - over by $382. We paid our yearly handyman service, Next year, I should make a yearly line item for this, & pull it out of our standard monthly expenses.
All told, including the insurance, we were only over our January budget by $343. Great news, considering the insurance was $1500. Woohoo!! February needs to continue to be an extremely frugal month, despite the two birthdays we have coming up.
What about you? How did you do with your January budget? Any big wins? Did you stay on track? I'd describe the dining out budget as our lowest on record!! We spent a total of $21 on dining out in January. Awesome!!!