Friday, May 14, 2021

Frugal Friday

 It was a week, but here we go! Always a few chances for frugal wins. 

Saving on things we buy

  • Uploaded grocery receipts to Fetch & iBotta, saving a small amount. I earned a $.25 iBotta offer. Slowly but surely!
  • Used a $50 work credit/reward to get takeout one night. I paid for the rest, but it's a rare splurge & was very much appreciated during a busy week.

Earning money

  • I continued to list & sell things on eBay. I need to do a big purge on my eBay items, and donate/give away a bunch. But, for now, here's what I've sold:
    • Outgrown swim trunks
    • Workout pants (brought back from the beach house)
    • A Seahawks jersey
    • A workout shirt that is too big for M (unworn)
    • A pair of sunglasses (gifted, that Sam didn't care for)
    • A couple of makeup subscription box samples

Avoiding spending

  • Can't really think of anything this week

Eating what we have

  • We've been trying to go through the freezer & reduce what we have there to a manageable level. It's (mostly) working. M often is tempted by Costco sales for things we will (eventually) need, but I prefer the freezer to be a bit more streamlined, allowing us to see everything we have. 
  • Continued to cut spinach from the garden & sautee and/or serve in our salads.
  • Harvesting radishes from the garden, and sauteeing the greens 
  • Made dinner from freezer kebabs one night. Love having leftover meal options in the freezer

For others

  • Listed & gave away a few things on our local Buy Nothing group
  • Continued regular check ins at my volunteer job
That's it from my side. What about you? Any frugal wins to share?

7 comments:

  1. Those e-bay sales have been pretty successful for you. I need to make that an actual get done this summer. I hear what you mean on managing the freezer and what is already there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to consistently list things every day, so it helps, and I sell a lot for not much. But, I like the idea of matching people up with what they need, and getting it out of my house, so it's a win.

      Delete
  2. We're due for a periodic eating down of the freezer meals. Life in April and now May had been so challenging with the sleep deprivation and our work schedules that we went the other direction and started paying for (food) convenience as it's the only area we could pay to save some time and sanity. I've been in such a fog that I forgot what was in there! But there are at least a couple good meals we can polish off. Then I can make a new list of what we should prep ahead. My queendom for enough energy and time to make up multiple trays of enchiladas! I miss homemade enchiladas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enchiladas sound so good! I'm the only one who will really eat them, though, so we don't have them often enough. I did make homemade tortilla chips (just purchased tortillas, baked with lime juice, salt & a bit of olive oil). Yum!

      I think throwing money at the problem when you are sleep deprived is more than acceptable!

      Delete
  3. Speaking of Uploading grocery receipts, Bailey found a receipt scanner at a yard sale yesterday. She was tickled with that. You did well on eBay this week. I need to work on mine more this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With eBay, I list things & just forget about them. Sometimes they sell, sometimes they don't. I also sell about 5% of the items on the first couple of days I list them, which is a sure sign I've mispriced them. ;-)

    Hope you are able to get your room updated, and the garden planted! I'm loving the spring weather here. It's one of my favorite times of the year in our area - typically warm but not hot, and no fires!

    ReplyDelete