Saturday, May 8, 2021

Happy Saturday!

I'm grateful it's the weekend. It was a busy week, and next week looks to be even busier. I'm really enjoying the garden, & planning for a mostly relaxing weekend as the gift to myself for Mother's Day! :-) 

Here's what I'm up to today:

  • Work out
  • Call with the realtor
  • Make muffins
  • Read by the pool
  • Go to the grocery store
  • Make egg roll in a bowl for dinner

I love the small thrill that comes with harvesting things from the garden! I'm very much a beginner, and have M to thank for much of the gardening efforts, but I do love seeing the spinach & radishes I planted come up.

From yesterday's harvest (radishes, basil & spinach)


I also cut back some of the herbs (weeds, really ;-)). Mint, cilantro & parsley




The planter boxes are starting to fill out! We've got tomatoes, squash, basil, peppers, carrots, spinach, and a few mystery plants (I planted A LOT from seed, and originally had markers, but gave up after nothing came up. Of course, now they are coming up & I don't know what they are ;-))




The planter boxes were a Mother's Day gift last year, so the timing feels very serendipitous. What about you? Do you have a garden going? What are you up to this weekend? 

8 comments:

  1. There's nothing like harvesting from your own garden. I didn't plant anything this year other than my herbs, but it's great even just having those. Enjoy your Mother's Day weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Herbs are great from a cost/value ratio. They are reasonably easy to grow, and cost a lot at the store. Plus, the taste is so much better.

      Delete
  2. Watching the flowers bloom in my garden. I thought I would at *least* have my Jack-Be-Little pumpkins growing by now, but it appears the chickens ate the seeds. I've declared today a day for myself. It's turned cooler, so I put a corned beef brisket and some cabbage in the slow cooker for dinner. I am planning on spending the day finishing some laundry, cleaning, making an apple pie, and then working on a quilt.
    Tomorrow the kids wanted to take me out, or order in for Mother's Day. I told them I'd prefer to just cook. I'm planning a roast chicken dinner with carrots, stuffing and cranberry sauce, with a chocolate cheesecake for dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your day to yourself sounds lovely. I don't have chickens, but it's a constant battle to keep the squirrels out of our plants. They love digging around in our pots, but seem to like the raised beds less.

      I say, do what you like on Mother's Day! If that's cooking a meal, fantastic. I've asked M to grill chicken, for chicken caesar salads. I'll pick up a sourdough bread (I rarely buy bread) & lemon bars, so it will be nice, but mellow. Eating out/ordering in doesn't sound like what I'd like right now. On Thursday, we are getting a $50 credit to order takeout for a work event, so I'll splurge on takeout then.

      Delete
  3. I have something growing there, not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your Mother's Day weekend is wonderful and wonderfully self indulgent!
    I think harvesting is the best feeling, unless it is zucchini , which can be overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Mother's Day, and what a beautiful garden! No garden here, no interest really, but I LOVE seeing what other people do with them. I do grow most of my herbs however!

    Over here we are bicycling to lunch, 30 miles roundtrip, with my daughter and her guy. After he will be making apps to enjoy here, including homemade mozzarella. He's amazing.

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your radishes are beautiful! I'm sure they were great tasting too. Anything homegrown like that is delicious. I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete