Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Checking in on one of my 2021 goals

I set a bunch of goals at the beginning of the year (full post here), & Sam inspired me to check in on how things are going, now that we are past the 1/2 way mark.

I'll do a full check in against my goals in another post (have to gear up for that), but started thinking about my clothing budget goal. I set a budget to spend no more than $250 on clothes for myself this year, with running shoes being excluded from that total. 

I had some gift cards at the start of the year, so I'll review both what I spent, and what I bought.

Total spent for the year to date = $127.04

Items purchased so far:

  • A sweatshirt at a local shop at the Oregon coast, to commemorate our house & last vacation together. $40
  • 3 pair of new running socks - used Amazon credit
  • Three new dresses (one from Athleta, two from the Gap) - $87.04, & used a gift card for the rest. I replaced a few dresses that no longer fit, as I'd lost a bit of weight. 
    • The Athleta dress is one of my new favorites. (Not a referral)
    • I haven't worn either of the two Gap dresses, but they are both perfect for work related events, parties, dinners out, etc. I'm hoping to wear at least one this weekend. I'd planned to wear them in Sonoma in April, but it was too chilly for dresses. 
  • A star tshirt, from TJ Maxx. I bought this for the 4th of July, but it will be cute to wear at other times as well. - Used TJ Maxx credit that I've had for years. 
It was useful to look back & see what I've purchased to date. I've worked hard to stop treating shopping like a fun "hobby", and instead only buy things that I really need, and/or will serve a specific purpose in my wardrobe. I've also continued to whittle things down via Buy Nothing, and when I empty out my closet, I'm reminded that I have plenty left to wear, and don't need anything more.

Running shoes, however... I continue to buy those! I think I've bought two pair so far this year, and they are typically around $100/each. No regrets, as I consider those an investment in my health, and try to run or walk at least 25 miles/week. 

What about you? Do you track what you spend on clothing? How are you doing this year?


11 comments:

  1. Wow! You did very well! I wish I could spend that little on myself, but shopping is kind of a hobby to me. I actually don't splurge on anything else besides books for myself. I'm thankfully done shopping for myself until the holiday season clearance.

    I hear you on the running shoes. There's only one brand that fits me comfortably (I have high arches), so I always stock up when I find a good sale. I just pulled the last new pair from my stockpile and hope Kohls has it on sale again this BF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to shop a lot! But, for me, shopping/clothes was always to make me feel good, because I wasn't confident in how I looked. Instead, I decided to invest in fitness related equipment/expenses, which make me look & feel better in all of my clothes. I find that I want/need less that way, because I'm more confident overall.

      I'm a huge Brooks & Asics fan. My feet expand a lot when I run, so I need them adjust to accommodate the expansion mid-run. Not all shoes are up for that challenge!

      Delete
  2. Definitely no regrets on good shoes here either. Too many foot problems to be cheap in that area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! I broke a bone in my right foot a few years ago, and when my shoes are getting close to needing to be replaced, I can feel where I broke my bone. It's "healed", but will never fully be the same, as it's a weight bearing area.

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh, in hind sight I should have picked one category to recap. your post read so much neater than my word vomit yestrday, but thans for the mention. Wiht your active lifestyle, I think keepign your clothing budget to $250 is a reall strong goal. As I shared, my goal is to avoid fast fashion-using wha tI have and replacing with thrift finds. My excpetions was two simple dresses for two weddings. I'll use both for years so should get a low cost per wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - my post tomorrow is all categories. :-) I'm doing better at avoiding fast fashion, but haven't yet made the jump to thrift stores. I don't know why, as I'm sure I would like it. I have seen a few things on my local Buy Nothing that I would love to have, but they of course, go quickly.

      Delete
  4. Impressive! I've only bought a new pair of Sanuk yoga mat flip flops, but I'm retired and still not really getting out and about much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I do go shopping for myself, (it's not very often-only when NECESSARY) I will over buy. As in buy several shirts of the same color because they fit. Then I will go online and order more colors in multi-quanity. It is a bit overwhelming to say the least. This year, I did return most of what I had bought minus 2 of each of the colors. Except the grey t-shirts. They fit and are lightweight. I probably have at least 10, but who is counting? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am similar, except I only wear black tops. Which means, I have like 15 similar, but not identical tops in my closet. I'm a pretty boring dresser. ;-)

      Delete
  6. That is a cute dress. You must be very svelte! I buy a black top first to see if it fits, then buy others in other colors. I guess I must have 6 black tank tops, but it works. I only have one red item of clothing and when it needs washing, it is all that is in the wash. I washed it with black for a long time, and it started getting sort of black in places...??? I still only have three good outfits and one no longer fits. So, the rest of my clothes are really cheap and some are shabby. I buy good shoes when I need them, not waiting until I can afford them. They are worth it. Good job on the purchases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all about the black shirts/dresses! That's pretty much all I own. I have a bit of a "uniform" when it comes to dressing.

      I wish I could describe myself as "svelte", but perhaps athletic would be a better description. I sized up, so the dress isn't quite as snug fitting.

      Delete