Friday, July 16, 2021

Frugal Friday

The beach house sale closed, was funded, & we are applying the money to our home mortgage! We are very excited. The rest of the wins seem very small in comparison this week, but here goes:


Saving on things we buy

  • Uploaded receipts to Fetch & iBotta, and saved $.10 on a Trader Joes purchase, & earned $1.25 on another grocery store purchase. I was close to Safeway for an appointment, and stopped in to pick up a few things I can't find anywhere else

Earning money

  • I relisted all of my eBay sales, and also posted a few things on FB marketplace. It was a good selling week! I sold:
    • A wand topper, from many years ago (indoor water park)
    • Chess set (FB)
    • A router from the beach house (FB)
    • Three shirts
    • Various makeup samples 
    • A pair of shoes
    • Two "magic" wands, from an indoor water park. I believe this is the last item from the stash of water park items I found a while back
    • A set of battery operated votive candles I found at the beach house

Avoiding spending

  • I had to pick up a prescription at Rite Aid, and had enough rewards to cover the cost. Always a win
  • Not exactly sure what category this falls in, but when we went to sell the vacation house, we realized our Oregon house has never been put into our trust we created. We had to hire an Oregon licensed attorney to coordinate with our primary attorney, so we'd spent $300+ to put the house into the trust. After the sale was completed, I reached out to the Oregon attorney, and he went back through his paperwork, and it was an error on his side. I appreciate that he was honest about his error. He also offered us a full refund, so we will be getting our money back. 

Eating what we have

  • Made delicious zucchini fritters  for dinner one night, along with caprese salad. The zucchini, chives, tomatoes & basil were from the garden.
  • I also quick pickled two batches of jalapenos - one of M's favorite snacks
  • We continue to eat lots of other garden produce: tomatoes, peppers, basil, mint, zucchini, etc
  • We ate two dinners from the freezer this week (chicken curry & egg roll in a bowl). I find that serving the leftovers with a fun side dish (caprese salad), makes everyone happier. 
  • Made banana muffins out of some overly ripe freezer bananas
  • Ate the remainder of the chicken curry & cauliflower rice for lunch one day. Cauliflower rice isn't my favorite, but with the kids out of town, it doesn't make sense to make an entire batch just for me. 

For others

  • I continue to give away a lot on the local Buy Nothing. Cleaning out our house, and helping others is the best win. M cleaned his closet, and gave me a few things to list on eBay, and a bunch to give away via Buy Nothing
  • I also shared herbs with neighbors & the Buy Nothing group. Our Greek basil, in particular, has gone nuts
  • Gave away a lot of zucchini to friends & neighbors

What about you? How was your week?

8 comments:

  1. You've done an excellent job as always. Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being on day 2 of my vegan, liquid detox, a Caprese Salad sounds mouth watering. Congrats on the sale and the reduction on yr mortgage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am breathing a sign of relief for you on the mortgage. Well done!!! It will make your life so much easier in the sense that you know your house is almost paid for. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was really nice of your Oregon attorney to let you know it was his error and refund you. Very classy move on his part. Resisting must be where it’s at this week. Bailey is at a friends house with good wi-fi and she is relisting everything on hers too.

    Sounds like you are enjoying your summer garden and produce. There’s an old joke that asks if you know why door locks were invented? It’s so neighbors can’t give you anymore zucchini. LOL...But I would love to have a neighbor give me some. Ha Ha! I hope you have a terrific weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'm trying the zucchini fritters tonight. I really don't want to go grocery shopping and we have the supplies. Good for you on both the close an then finding the error and getting the savings. Trustworthy lawyer to accept the error was his.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yo know I felt like I had so many interruptions this week that I am back to square one but I mean to remedy that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the finalized sale! You did well to straighten out the trust. I received a letter from my lawyer's office last year stating they had forgotten to charge me a $100 fee on a recent transaction. I could have protested since it was their error, but I paid it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great feeling to have the house sale transaction completed! I do love eggroll in a bowl. It is so tasty!

    ReplyDelete