Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Dubai - financial recap

Now that we are back from a very expensive trip, I thought I'd recap how things went from a budget perspective. In total, there were 10 people on the trip.

Before I get into all of that, a bit of helpful background. The average income in Iran is very low - $5k/year for a family. My niece is an accountant, works full time, and makes $2400/year. So, it was important for us to pay for as much of the trip as possible. We cannot send money to Iran, due to the sanctions, nor could we cover any expenses before they left the country. My mother in law used a lot of her retirement money to pay for flights for everyone (minus us), and we paid for everything else on the trip: hotel rooms, food, activities, etc. Rather than bringing gifts (culturally traditional), we opted to give everyone money to spend in Dubai. In Iran, you cannot buy branded goods of any kind (Nike, Gap, Apple, etc) due to the trade embargoes, so everything is either fake, or made locally & not particularly high quality. On this trip, the family wanted to buy clothing & shoes that they cannot purchase in Iran, and spent a lot of time stocking up on items for themselves, and for other relatives who couldn't attend. We spent a lot of time at the Nike store. :-) I'm not a big shopper, so this was particularly painful for me, but I understand that I can purchase literally anything I want online, and have it delivered to my house. Every 8-10 years, they can buy name brand goods (if they travel out of the country), so it's a very different experience.

As I mentioned, the trip was very, very expensive, so to humor myself, I'll start with the things that were financial wins:

  • We booked the boys their own room (separate from us), and I used hotel points (accrued when traveling for work) to cover the full cost.
  • The hotel room came with free breakfast every day. The breakfast buffet was fantastic, and I'd put it on par with a $30-40 breakfast buffet. Because it was Ramadan, it was difficult to get food during the day, so we typically ate only 1-2 meals a day, with several days being just one meal a day, and a snack. 
  • The hotel we chose to stay in was very middle of the road, cost wise. There are some seriously luxurious hotels in Dubai - we were not staying there :-). We had six total rooms, with one being covered with points. For a total of six nights. 
  • I used United Plus Points (status from work travel) to get on the waiting list for free upgrades. You get a certain number of Plus Points per year, and can use them to apply to the waiting list for various flight segments. This worked out well on the flights from Newark to Dubai, where M & I were double upgraded (from Economy Plus to Premium Plus, and then to business). On the return flights, M & I were upgraded to Premium Plus on the flight from Dubai to Newark, and I was upgraded to first class on the flight from Newark to SFO. Altogether, this was about a $7-8K value in upgrades. 
  • Additionally, I paid extra ($500/pp) to upgrade the boys to Premium Plus on the flight from Newark to Dubai. This was a backup plan, in the event that we didn't get upgraded. We were planning to take these seats. A friend had Plus Points that were expiring, and used those points to add the boys to the upgrade list, never expecting it to actually clear. However, due to a storm on the east coast, and lots of flight delays, the boys upgrade also cleared! That's another $5k in value for the upgrades.
  • We priced out transportation options to/from SFO, and went with the least expensive option - Lyft. I used my new travel credit card to save another 10% off the trip.
  • My new credit card also comes with a Priority Pass membership, which gives you lounge access at a few places. In SFO, they didn't have a lounge, so we got a $56 credit on a meal, and fed everyone breakfast before our first flight. In Dubai, we had access to a very fancy lounge for two adults, and I paid $70 for the boys to also be able to go in. We all ate, got drinks & relaxed for two hours during that time period. M & I got free wine with our meals as well.
  • I packed snacks for the flights, and the boys ate quite a bit of those on the trip.
  • I had planned to send our laundry out, midway through the trip, as my hotel research indicated they didn't have laundry service. I double checked with the hotel, and they had an onsite washer & dryer. I walked across the street to the convenience store, bought a small container of soap & washed our laundry for about $1.50, saving $35 or so. 
And, now on to the rest of the trip, & the less frugal things:
  • The hotel cost $5,200 for all of the rooms, for the full trip. 
  • The flights (including the boys paid upgrades) came to $6500. Not bad for four international flights, including a 13 hour leg that was in business for all four of us. 
  • We paid for one very fancy dinner out, at a Michelin Persian restaurant. The food was fantastic, and it was cheaper than expected. Alcohol was not available during the majority of the trip, due to local law, as well as Ramadan. I was delighted to see a wine list, and had two glasses of wine during the dinner. 
  • We took everyone to the largest water park in the world one of the days, which cost $1,000 for tickets for the group. The food was also expensive, but I'm still in disbelief that the only sunblock cost $86. We didn't check bags, so I brought only a small travel sunblock. We used that earlier in the trip, & I just had no idea sunblock would be so expensive at the water park. I brought it home with me, and I hope it's life changing, for that price. ;-) 
  • We did two other paid activities: a trip to the top of Burj Khalifa (tallest building in the world) & a desert tour. The tour included the camel rides, ATV trip of the desert, and a dinner in tents, with entertainment. Together, I think these activities were around $1,200. 
  • As mentioned above, we gave everyone cash to spend on the trip. That was $8k. It sounds a little crazy, but remember that we can't exchange gifts (EVER) with M's family, due to the sanctions. That means, no birthday/Christmas/etc gifts of any kind. We have definitely spent more than that, over the past 14 years on my family. 
  • The rest of the trip (transportation to/from the airports, Uber rides while in Dubai - x3 (needed 2-3 cars per trip), food for everyone, activities, gifts for them to take back to other family members, souvenirs for the kids, etc) made up the rest of the spending. 
How much did we spend, in total? $26,200.  

I went back & forth quite a bit over posting this, given how much this cost, but thought I'd go with transparency. Traveling with a group of this size was beyond expensive. No regrets of any kind, and if at all possible, we will save up to do it again in a few years. If that doesn't happen, this will definitely be a once in a lifetime trip. 

30 comments:

  1. I spend quite a bit on travel including covering family members and I think you did quite well! There is so much joy in sharing and in your situation, the trip meant the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very worthwhile! It was not a small amount of work, but so worth it.

      Delete
  2. You know what? The cost of the trip just is not important when you weigh out the reality of what M's family goes through - as you outlined. I hope that you can plan to meet with them in a few years again. Honestly, the sunscreen being $86 is the most ridiculous price out of the entire thing, imo. I am so happy that you all got this chance to spend time together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cost of the sunscreen was offensive! I didn't mind the cost of most of the trip, but that one just about killed me. However, not getting any wasn't an option, so I sucked it up. I also hauled it back home, because I was so bothered by the cost.

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic gift for M”s mom. I’d say it was worth it for her alone

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cost transparency. Travel is expensive. Honestly, we spent more than half of that on a family ski trip last year! (Still feel it was worth it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are also skiers, and invest about 1/2 of our yearly travel budget on skiing. It's very expensive, but our favorite way to travel as a family.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great trip. And really, not that expensive for 10 people spending a week in Dubai. Definitely something to re-do again in a few years if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Given the distance and all that you accomplished I don't think it was outrageous. 6 rooms for 6 nights in a hotel averaging $850/room for that time frame is honestly less than an average hotel here in Southern Ontario. Being frugal gives you choices and you chose to spend your money on family and experiences. Sounds like a win to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hotel was actually very reasonably priced. We looked at something "fancier", and I was really on the fence, as the nicer hotels had a better location (would have reduced Uber costs, but we still saved).

      Delete
  7. As a former world traveler, I can say, yes, it was expensive, but not in comparison to other, less significant trips you could make. I daresay people easily spend that on a week at Disney. (BLECH!) Granted, I would have avoided the water park like the plague, and saved money there. But, you and your family had a life altering trip, and I'm happy you got to do it. Thank you for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a four year old with us, as well as the teens. M & I floated in the lazy river for a while, and then found a pub & sat together & a had a beer. It was our only time together during the entire trip (just us) & he didn't have to think about translations & it was absolutely perfect. The water park also wasn't my top choice, but honestly.... I preferred it over the mall!

      Delete
    2. Oh, and it was definitely a life altering trip!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like some great memories for everyone! You surely don't have to justify how you spend your money. That desert tour sounds so fun! I would love to ride a camel at least once in my life. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The desert tour was a highlight for sure. The teens, in particular, loved everything about it.

      Delete
  9. I think that is very reasonable. I thought the figure was going to be closer to $40,000, so I think you did a fabulous job on keeping costs at bay. Plus, it had been 14 years since mil had seen the boys, so that, if divided by per year and if they lived in the U.S., would actually be a quite low number. Great job on saving on expenses and on having such a fantastic trip! I mean, they live where they cannot visit you easily and vice versa so you did the absolute best that you could. As a grandmother, I think you are absolutely the best daughter in law to make sure this trip happened! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My MIL consistently told me how much she appreciated me for making the trip happen, which was so lovely. As a parent, I can only imagine how hard it is on her to not see her son/grandkids with any control or regularity. I thought it was really important to give her a future trip to look forward to (Turkey in a few years), because going home & not knowing if you will have another opportunity to see your son/grandkids just seemed unbearable to me.

      Delete
  10. I know what we spent on our family of five for two weeks in Europe. I think you did very well and as others have said in so many words, priceless. I don't think you'll regret a penny, except the criminally of expensive sunscreen. But, even that compared to a painful sunburn is a good trade-off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yes. The sunscreen was criminally expensive! But, if no other option was available, I'd still make the choice, because I burn incredibly easily, and have had too much sun damage already from my childhood. Flying home with a sunburn would have also been miserable.

      Delete
  11. I don't think it sounds over the top at all! And since you were not able to spend/send money to them for so many years, if you divide the amount by the number of years, the amount you spent was pretty small.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bravo! That is some of the best money you will ever spend! (Even for the obscenely expensive sunscreen because it was worth having it available rather than walking out sunburned)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's where we've netted out. So worth it! We took a trip to Hawaii with my parents (70th birthday for my dad & 50th anniversary for my parents) & it was a sort of magical, memory making trip. It was expensive, and we have no regrets. Who knows if we will ever get to have something like that again, but the memories are totally worth it.

      Delete
  13. That was so fascinating to read! What a lifetime of memories you must have stored up! Hopefully you will get to do it again some day, but if not how neat that you did get to go. Did you or the boys experience any culture shock? Cool beans on the upgrades and being able to include the boys on some of those. Such a neat trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really so amazing to get the time together. I've traveled a bit internationally (although not to that area of the world), so I thought I was prepared for some of the stuff, but it was still a shock. Dubai itself is a bit of an outlier & a real mix of conservative religious rules, combined with more of a Las Vegas glitz and glamour scene (minus the alcohol & gambling). The entire city is also new, so that's also just a strange experience.

      The boys totally leaned into the entire thing. Nick is very reserved around people he doesn't know, but he was the first one hugging all of the family, graciously handling all of the many kisses & tears, and just going with the flow. I think being out of the country at all came with some culture shock for them, for sure.

      Delete
  14. What a blessing it is to be able to give a trip like this to those who can't afford it. And such special memories. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is the reason to be frugal-scrmping and saving and doing without to be able to spend your money on the stuff that is meaningful to you! And it doesn't hurt that y'all make a nice income either. ;-) Glad the trip went well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so glad that you guys enjoyed this trip. I would have been shocked at the price except my SIL and BIL spent over $21,000. just for roundtrip airfare from Houston to Manchester, England. They do this trip a lot and could probably learn a thing or two from you guys on how to do this cheaper. Thanks for the info. It was very interesting!

    ReplyDelete