Sunday, April 23, 2023

Trip recap - part 1

I don't know that I'm awake enough to write this, but I'll give it a try. I slept for 12 hours last night, and am trying to get my body adjusted again, after a red eye flight, two 25+ hour travel days, and then being jet lagged & not quite sleeping enough in Dubai.

Logistics/flights:

  • Our way to Dubai was quite stressful, as our flight from SFO to Newark was delayed numerous times, and we needed to make a connection in Newark. In the end, we made it, after sprinting through the Newark airport. We got on that flight, and then sat on the runway for 90 minutes, with the doors closed. I'd put in for upgrades for M & I for all of the flights, and then as a backup plan (it looked like we weren't going to get upgraded on status), I paid to upgrade the boys to premium plus seats. (There are four classes of seats: business, premium plus, economy plus, economy.) One of my work friends had extra upgrade points, and added those to the boys flights, to try & get them upgraded to business. To be clear, if the boys were upgraded, M & I were planning to take those seats. ;-) We love them, but they are teens, and recover from sleep deprivation better than we do, and have flexible bodies that sleep in many different positions. 
  • We got to Newark, and my work colleague had been tracking our flight & ugprades, and due to some bad weather on the east coast & many people missing their connections, all four of us were upgraded to business! M & I were somewhere in the 14-15 waitlist for upgrades, so this was never supposed to happen. The chance of the boys getting upgraded was very small. We hustled onto the Newark to Dubai flight, and...what a treat!!! I've flown business class for work before, and the ability to really stretch out & fully recline makes a huge difference in how much I can sleep. The boys were blown away by business class, but the flight home for them was a little more difficult. ;-) 
  • Fast forwarding to our flights home... I was in premium plus, with M & the boys in economy plus. All quite a big downgrade from business. After the doors were closed, there was one seat left behind me in premium plus, and M was next on the upgrade list. The flight attendant was able to clear his upgrade real time, and he quickly changed seats. Premium plus is nothing to write home about, but he ended up with an aisle vs middle, and the seats recline slightly more. The boys expressed their sadness about not being in business class, to which I reminded them that was a once in a lifetime happy accident, until they start paying for their own travel. ;-) 
  • We landed in Newark (after 15+ hours), and Sam & I finished his global entry conditional approval interview (it's easy to get this done at the airport on a return flight, but otherwise takes a year or so to get an appointment at a local airport). My credit card offered free global entry/TSA pre check for one person, and M & I already had it. Next up, we'll apply for Nick. I was upgraded to business class on the Newark to SFO flight, which was nice. We were all beyond tired and everyone slept a bit more. 
All told, we left our hotel at 10 pm Dubai time, our flight left at 1:55 am (local time) & we landed in San Francisco 25+ hours after the flight left. It was a very, very long return. Today is going to be a struggle!

As expected, the trip was super emotional. When we landed in Dubai last Sunday, we cleared customs, and then Ubered to the hotel. We'd booked a Hyatt Place which was...very okay. It was fine & clean, but there were some definite quirks! We covered the hotel costs for everyone (more on the financial side of the trip later), and needed something that was mid-priced. I also used points to cover a room for the boys. They really enjoyed the privacy, and since we were all so jet lagged, M & the boys & I appreciated being able to sleep on our own schedules. 

M's mom skipped dinner with the rest of the family, so she could wait outside the hotel for us. It had been 14 years since she was last able to see the boys, and they were tiny little people last time she was with them. It was so emotional for all of us. I also was able to meet my sister in law & niece for the first time, as well as her fiance, and another cousin & her four year old son. There was a lot of hugging, crying & picture taking, before we all finally went to bed. M stayed up every night, having family time with his mom & sister, as it was very difficult for us all to converse when the boys & I were around. (M was the only person who could translate between our group). 

The challenges in not speaking the same language were very real, and we used Google Translate a lot to help us out!

All of the above aside, it was an amazing (and challenging) trip. The language gaps, the travel timing & jet lag, and getting everyone around due to the size of the group were difficult. But, they were offset by the opportunity of us all to get to meet each other (most for the first time), & for M's mom to get that time with her son & her grandsons. We would love to do one more trip, before it's too difficult for her to travel, but nothing is guaranteed, so we all knew when we left the hotel & said our goodbyes, this may be the last time she sees the boys & M. M's dad was not well enough to make the trip, which was also quite emotional. I take for granted that, if I needed to, I could be at my parents house in a few hours. M hasn't seen his dad in 14 years, and barring some sort of miracle political change in Iran, won't be able to see him before he passes. 

I can't imagine a more worthwhile way for us to spend our money. The trip was very expensive (I'll do a financial write up at some point), but worth every penny. No regrets of any kind. 

I'm off to try & come up with a menu plan, and figure out how to stay awake today! 

14 comments:

  1. Some things are worth spending the money as that is what it's for. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! We are thinking of another trip (to Turkey) in a couple of years, if M's mom is able to travel again, so we will definitely be saving up for that as a priority.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like money well spent. Didn't know that M could not see his family for so long. It must be very hard for him and his parents. You guys should've come to Turkey instead of going to Dubai. It is closer to both you guys and Iran and also way cheaper. May be next time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turkey was definitely on our list of potential places (they are limited to travel to Turkey, Dubai & Singapore). We ruled out Singapore due to the time/expense for the folks coming from Iran. Turkey was actually more challenging for us to get to for just a week. My MIL speaks Turkish, and one of the other folks we had on the trip is Turkish, so we would have had plenty of language coverage. We promised my MIL that our next trip will be to Turkey! I'm not sure that her health will allow, but if it does, we will make it happen. Nick is very excited about the potential of another international trip, and definitely wants to see Istanbul - top travel request for him. :-) I will be asking for lots of tips, if we make it happen!

      Delete
    2. Forgot to reply to the rest of the comment. It's very hard for his family to be able to travel out of the country, and most men are not allowed to travel. We probably would have done it sooner, but COVID really slowed us down. M saw his mom in Singapore about 5 years ago, I think, but it was a work trip, and he got lucky that it was a location his mom could go to. We priced out having the boys join, but the dates conflicted with school, but it was cost prohibitive to have the rest of us join.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely priceless opportunity. I keep repeating how happy I am for you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was. I added up the cost of the trip this morning (at M's request), & we were already discussing how to make it happen again in two years. If at all possible, we will. It's such a hard thing for his family not to get to see us - I can't imagine what that's like as a parent/grandparent.

      Delete
  4. We all take our freedom for granted and spend so much time focused on things that don't matter. It was lovely to read that M got to see his family. We have friends from that part of the world and know how difficult life has been to establish themselves in the US knowing that the family they leave behind do not have the same opportunities. You will never regret spending that money for priceless memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. His mom told me how happy she was that we don't live in Iran. Despite how difficult it is for her not to see us regularly, we have so many opportunities that the rest of the family doesn't have. It really is a horrible tradeoff, though. M left when he was Sam's age, and probably didn't expect that it would be a lifetime of only seeing his family very rarely.

      Delete
  5. I am so glad your trip was a success. If there is any way possible I hope you can do it again in a couple of years.
    Reading this makes me realize how petty I am being when I gripe about not seeing my granddaughter for the two years Covid was so bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom was really disappointed we weren't doing a family summer trip, and when I reminded her that we were spending most of our travel budget on this trip, she felt so bad. She's missed the boys a lot lately, so she's flying in for Memorial Day. She talks a lot about how guilty she feels that she can see them so often. It's hard on all sides.

      Delete
  6. This made me cry tears of joy for all of y’all. Yes, worth every penny!!!! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a picture of my mother in law hugging Sam, as soon as we got out of the Uber, and she's just so emotional. I can't look at it without crying. It's a beautiful moment, and leaving....oh, that was so hard. Nick is a completely unemotional child, and even he was crying, leaving everyone.

      Delete
  7. Y’all absolutely needed this time with his family and it’s worth every penny! I can’t wait to hear more! Yay for flight upgrades! I’m sure it makes a long flight so much more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete