Friday, April 7, 2023

Frugal Friday

This doesn't belong in any of the below buckets, but I registered for a status matching promo at work, and think I have enough hotel nights upcoming (spring break trip, plus one work trip) that I'll get a valuable status through 2025. That would be lovely, as it comes with free breakfast & room upgrades. Fingers crossed. 

Saving on things we buy

  • In California, permit drivers need three lessons with a driving instructor (plus, a bunch of practice with parents). I bought a package of three lessons in October, and Nick needed his last lesson on Saturday, ahead of his test. The company was convinced that I owed them $160, but a few extra messages & a copy of my check later, and they realized I'd paid upfront. $160 "saved". 
  • Priced out options for parking/transportation to & from the airport over spring break. There's quite a large variance in options, so we narrowed in on the cheapest, which should save between $50-80 (using Uber). This is surprising, because the opposite is true at the other airport we use more frequently, and that airport is quite a bit closer to our house. 

Earning money

  • Drove Nick to a reffing game, so he could earn money

Avoiding spending

  • Returned a pair of shorts that didn't fit Nick.

Eating what we have

  • We picked up takeout Greek food on a night with lots of evening activities. M ended up eating something else, so I had the remaining leftovers for lunch one day. 
  • I was really swamped with driving activities on Monday night (took Nick for his drivers test, came home & then had to drive to a soccer carpool), so I brought dinner to eat at the soccer field. It wasn't my favorite (protein bar & a banana), but I avoided the temptation of something from a drive through. 
  • M made a big batch of grilled chicken on Sunday, which we've had a couple of times, and froze another two dinners worth. 

For others

  • We have a copier at work that's super finicky, and I've become the copier "fixer". People stop by & I help them troubleshoot. This is really not my area of expertise, so it always makes me laugh.
  • Helped a friend out with a ride for her son. 
  • Volunteered to help out at a school event
  • Donated snacks & drinks to the school tennis team, x2. 
That's it from our side. What about you? Any wins to share?

1 comment:

  1. I hope your valuable status comes through for you. Good choice at the soccer field. I’m sure there are plenty of not so good choices there. We’ve been enjoying a lot of grilled chicken lately too.

    ReplyDelete