Friday, June 30, 2023

Frugal Friday

Another week whizzed by! We've had so much fun with family, but it will be nice to be home this weekend. Here are a few frugal wins for the week. 

Saving on things we buy

  • It was another weekend out of town, so we did our normal travel stuff: brought water bottles to fill at the airport, M & I made a dinner out of food at the lounge, priced out cheapest ride share options, & packed snacks for the teens. 
  • I dropped off Nick's tennis racket, string & some cash for his friend, who is restringing the racket for him. It was about half the price of having it done at a shop. 
  • I had to pick up some things we needed at Rite Aid, and found matching Fetch offers, as well as a Rite Aid offer. I spent a total of $55, and earned $7 in Rite Aid rewards & $16 in Fetch offers, which was a nice bonus. 

Earning money

  • Not much to report here, as the boys are with my parents & not working this week. M & I are continuing our normal work.
  • I found $.35 on the ground, outside of Rite Aid
Avoiding spending

  • We also took advantage of the free breakfast the hotel served over the weekend. It was a nice  buffet, so everyone was able to fill up in the mornings. 
  • I needed a rapid COVID test for Nick's camp, and didn't have any on hand. I was able to pick one up on Buy Nothing. 

Eating what we have

  • Ate lots of lettuce, basil & peppers from our garden. We have not had as much sun/warm weather as usual, so we don't have any ripe tomatoes yet. Our tomato plants are quite small for this time of the year.
  • I finished all of the delivery meals (frozen)! They are super handy to have in a pinch, and I love that they are very healthy, as opposed to most frozen/prepped options. That said, they are too pricey when you pay the regular price. I got a great deal from a work offer, but likely won't replace them. 
  • M ate a few burger patties & grilled chicken from the freezer, as well as finished off the last of the salmon.
  • I cut up all of the ripe/overly ripe fruit in the fridge, and froze it for smoothies, as the boys were  out of town this week. 

For others

  • Spent some time on a new mentorship program through work.
  • I have a few nice things to give away on Buy Nothing, so want to get those posted ahead of the long weekend.
That's it for me. What about you? Any wins to share?

2 comments:

  1. Eating what is on hand is a great thing to do, even if it is not what we really want. That is why our dinner last night was nothing but a fruit salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it! We try hard to eat what we have, but we certainly have things that get by us, despite our best efforts.

      Delete