Friday, April 10, 2020

Menu planning

Menu planning has taken on renewed importance for all of us, as we balance what we have, what we can do without, and minimize trips to the store.

 Breakfasts will include things like: eggs, waffles, protein smoothies, bagels, fruit, etc. We will rely more on frozen fruit as our fresh supplies dwindle. For lunches, the adults typically have leftovers & the kids will have easy to prep options from the fridge, pantry or freezer.

Here's what we're planning on having for dinners this week.


  • Friday - spaghetti bolognese (over cauliflower rice for adults, pasta for kids). This will use up ground beef, cauliflower rice, & a container of tomato sauce discovered in the freezer. I'll fill out with fresh onions, peppers, and carrots. 
  • Saturday - chicken curry over rice. This will use up chicken (freezer), and some additional veggies. 
  • Sunday - I'm hoping to make hot cross buns for Easter. The kids voted on the super traditional Taco dinner. ;-) Planning to make homemade tortilla chips to serve with it. This will use up ground beef from the freezer
  • Monday - leftover bolognese
  • Tuesday - leftover curry
  • Wednesday - leftover tacos
  • Thursday - leftover curry again
  • Friday - cauliflower crust pizza (freezer) + regular pepperoni pizza (freezer)
  • Saturday or Sunday - restock our supplies, dinners TBD


Things we will be running out of soon:

  • Fresh fruit (we only have one banana left)
  • Bagged salad
  • Frozen fruit
  • Milk
  • Cucumber (Nick's favorite food)
My husband gets very anxious when we run low on specific food items (we clearly have enough to eat for another month, but would be substituting almost all top choices), so we shall see how long he can realistically go.

What about you? What's on the menu plan this week?



8 comments:

  1. Love the super traditional Easter taco dinner! I was going to stuff a boneless leg of lamb but it is just silly for just the two of us. I might do the traditional grilled hamburger Easter dinner if it's sunny. If it's rainy we might have the traditional Easter soup and grilled cheese dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ribs and potato salad is our easter meal this year. I am running low on almost all fruit and veg and although I have a grocery order to be picked up Monday their fruit and veg leave something to be desired - so I am going to go to one of our smaller grocery stores with no lineups and get some of both for us. Today when hubby gets up (we are sleeping later/more) I will make pancakes using milk that is past it's best buy date (I sour milk for pancakes usually anyway) and cranberry sauce frozen that was leftover from Christmas. Again, trying for almost zero food waste

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a lot of fish right now, canned salmon and tuna fish, so we are good to go and we have plenty of beans, which I can always make a meal out of anytime. We also have plenty of spaghetti sauce & spaghetti. We are running out of some thing, but have been able to make do so far, so I'm grateful for that.

    I hope you have a blessed Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easter is a ham which I had in the freezer, with scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, and a gelatin salad, with a lemon pie for dessert. All of this came from my larder, but DH's gelatin salad will not be the flavor he was expecting. (He won't mind.) Tomorrow is a birthday--kid wanted cottage pie and a chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting. Again, all items I have on hand. Today we observe Good Friday, so meals are no meat. I will set out some halibut spread, crackers, sliced carrots, cheese and deviled eggs to be eaten at people's leisure. I also plan on whipping up a batch of peanut butter eggs.
    We are running out of some things, but have plenty of other things. Like yours, my husband gets a bit anxious if we are low on milk, eggs or half and half--not sure why. This is really business as usual. As I told my kids when they were little, you can't expect to have a plate full of all your favorite foods at every meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, we'll have the traditional Easter brunch, but for supper, I'm making soup and beer bread. I have so many bottles of beer that won't get drank-some already past its prime. I figure lets use it for cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hubs has now lost 15 pounds and we need to keep fresh veggies in as much as possible. We are fine for food but I do probably need to take an inventory of meat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since we had the Easter ham last Sunday on Hubs bday we'll be having Easter lasagna(meatless)and salad.
    Fun times.....
    Happy Easter, Passover and everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our stores here are back to being decently-enough stocked, meaning that while the brand I'm looking for may not be there, something else is. So, this should be the last week of the semi-convenience foods I purchased back when California shelter in place provisions began. Nothing that I've prepared that came out of a can or a box has been terrible tasty!

    Easter Sunday we will Zoom our family as we all sit down to dinner together, virtually. On our table will be a spiral cut ham, baked sweet potatoes, green beans, and cornbread. Dessert will be warm-from-the-oven homemade chocolate chip cookies with vanilla ice cream. Looking forward to the pea soup I will be making next week with some of the considerable leftover ham!

    ReplyDelete