Monday, April 20, 2020

The days are feeling long

It's going to be a really wild work week. I have one week a month with significantly more meetings (just the way the recurring monthly meetings fall) & we also have a big deliverable this week. The deliverable is something we normally take 6-8 weeks to plan & execute, but in this case, have less than a week. There are..reasons.. so, it's all hands on deck to get things ready on time.

My standard week lately have been about 4 hours/meeting a day, with projects, emails & activities sprinkled between the other hours. I have no days this week with less than 5 hours/meetings, which makes things just generally harder to manage. Oh well, still getting paid. I'm telling myself that this will make the following weeks that much more manageable. :-)

Because it's a crazy day today, I'm going to keep my list of chores to the basics, as I'll use my lunch to do all of my daily stuff (a quick yoga workout, meditate, etc.) I'll also try to do a couple of walks around the block with the kiddos, and then a longer walk this evening.

M is in charge of dinner tonight (steak), which will be a lovely change, as I have APAC calls until later this evening.

That's it from my side. How is your Monday looking? 

14 comments:

  1. Well trying to tell myself I will do something and then actually doing it will be my big ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The days are running together at this point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, aren't they ever. I almost never know which day it is, without looking at my calendar. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Wow at least the days go by fast with being so busy! Occasionally I miss the challenge of juggling meetings and deliverables and work that I used to have to do...but only occasionally :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pros & cons, for sure. In some ways, it's helpful to stay distracted. In others, it's hard to juggle for sure.

      Delete
  4. I cannot fathom working out of my home under any circumstance, least of all the current ones. I am in awe of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I previously loved my work from home Fridays. This will probably have ruined that time for me. Can't imagine willingly going back. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. What a change of pace it's been. There have been some advantages, so I try to focus on those & let everything else go.

      Delete
  6. I agree with Lisa-the days are running together, even weekends it seems. I'm hoping to take my own guidance that I wrote about a few weeks ago and do more work life separation, but it is a challenge when home is work and vice versa. Do you feel like when your job returns to the work place, you'll be able to travel less, now that much of your work that required travel was forced to be done differently? I'm curious how our work place will shift long term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine work travel happening before the end of the calendar year. Which, will definitely make things so challenging with the teams. It's not ideal, but I don't see any other (safe) path. I also don't think our open office space with tens of thousands of people is going to work well, so I have to imagine my employer is also trying to plan for an eventual return to work looking quite different.

      Delete
  7. I agree with the others who stated the days are running together now. I guess it is just a sign of the times thanks to the corona virus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's definitely feeling like one very long day. My flatmate and I quite often ask each other, 'what day is it today?' It's taken me several weeks to get the idea that this is a holiday out of my head - I am perfectly aware that it's not, not even close, but the only previous times I've been away from work for any length of time is because I've been on holiday! I'm having trouble settling which makes me realise how intricately my days are structured around my job. I thought for sure I'd be finishing off my book, walking, reading up a storm, etc., but find I'm spending most of my days 'faffing' instead. Having said that, I'm not exactly sure how I'll manage getting back to the office as and when that happens! But glad you are all well and safe, that's the main thing. xx

    ReplyDelete