Friday, April 10, 2020

Frugal Friday

It's hard to spend any money when everything is closed! Here's what we've been up to in frugal news this week.


Saving on things we buy

  • I was able to use a $1 Rite Aid reward for bandages I needed for Sam. He fell of his skateboard & had major road rash in three places. He was a terrible mess, and in a lot of pain for a few days, but has since recovered. We've again talked about reducing risk to stay safe right now! Teen boys are hard to corral!
  • Our car insurance company sent an email that they will be providing an upfront discount, as we are not on the road right now. That will be tremendously helpful. 


Earning money

  • Listed one item on eBay every day. Made three sales so far.
  • Continued to do Microsoft Rewards, and earned a $5 Amazon gift card


Avoiding spending

  • No driving to work, so no wear & tear on the cars, or gas (for one of the two cars)
  • Eating lots out of our fridge, pantry & freezer. Trying to do our absolute best to maximize what we have, and minimize food waste.
  • Traded fresh oranges in our yard for yeast from a coworker. She threw in two apples & two homemade lime truffles. I'd added a bag of Easter chocolate for her kids. Our minds were clearly in the same place. I only got one of the truffles before Sam ate the other, but it was incredible!
  • Worked out at home with free DVDs, hand weights & a mat I've had for years
  • I cancelled a coaching training I was scheduled to do in March. Actually, the program cancelled the March event, and rebooked me in a later one. I decided I'd rather have the money back, and will reschedule time permitting. This will free up quite a bit of money back onto the credit card. 
Helping others
  • Donated to a food bank that is experiencing record high requests
  • Walked our neighbor's dog
  • Mailed masks to my sister & BFF
  • Assisted neighbor with her mailing 

That's it from our side. What about you? How is everyone doing on the frugality front this week?

2 comments:

  1. We are all in the saving mode just out of normal life. Isn't the Microsoft rewards kind of cool? I appreciate learning about it from Belinda. I like the little trivia games-right up my ally, so even if it takes a while to earn, what the heck-pay me to play games. I remember the teenage boys-girls for that matter, and lots of little accidents that very easily could have been bigger. I hope some of what you say resonate, but tough to keep active kids slow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss the library. Thankfully as long as people continue to be very careful and do not touch anything but the grass we walk on, as we all have been, our parks are still open for walking and playing in which has been a big relief for PiC and JB. They get a good bit of outdoor time and I'm glad for them.

    We've been doing a lot of cooking. Take out / delivery is about 1-2 times a week depending on how we feel and our hope of supporting local businesses enough to make a difference.

    Working the Bing rewards myself too and aiming high for that next Target gift card :)

    ReplyDelete