Saturday, April 25, 2020

Busy in the kitchen on a sunny day

I went on a hike this morning, and traded a friend Kleenex that she needed for apples from her farm delivery. The apples are amazing!

I also went to the grocery store to pick up a few items Costco doesn't carry. Pretty much anything is cheaper at our local produce stand, but it's very difficult to practice social distancing. So, we've been shopping at the grocery store near our house instead. M went to Costco, and unloading & sanitizing everything (not to mention finding space in the fridge/freezer) is an adventure. We have more food  than usual, so it's a bit of a juggle when the new supplies come it. We are grateful to have access to high quality food right now.

I cleaned the bathrooms, vacuumed & then started prepping some food. I made potato salad (for the first time!) & it was fabulous. The recipe I tried was super tasty, but the peeling of the potatoes & time involved means this will be a rare treat in our house. I sent Nick over to drop off a few servings for our neighbor across the way, and she'd picked up quiches from our local bakery, and gave us one. She's so lovely.

I also made orange muffins (some for us, some for our neighbor who gave us oranges), which turned out well. I boiled extra eggs for egg salad, but I've run out of steam, and those will need to wait for another day.

I'm hoping to list an item on eBay, and sell a lawnmower to a neighbor who expressed interest. Other than that, I think that will be pretty much the day. Oh, and reading by the pool for a bit!

Hope you are all having a fabulous Saturday. Have you tried any new recipes that you would recommend?

16 comments:

  1. Not sure what type of recipe you were using for potato salad, but I often don't bother peeling the potatoes. (I do the same for mashed potatoes though too!)
    I have been making zucchini raisin muffins lately, that my husband and I really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely considered leaving the peels on, and will have to try that next time!

      Delete
  2. Re: potato salad - just leave on the potato skins and change name to rustica potato salad. Just as good and much easier to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can make potato salad with the peeling on the potatoes. I like it that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I followed the recipe this time, but will try it without peeling next time. Sounds much easier

      Delete
  4. Boil the potatoes with the skins on then dunk them in cold water. The skins come right off.
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds like an easy option. Thanks for sharing - I will definitely try it!

      Delete
  5. Ah reading by the pool sounds wonderful! We still have ours covered, but now all the icky spring crap has fallen so it is time to crack it open.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never made potato salad, for exactly that reason. I figure that's what delis are for. Seriously though I love a good potato salad. My mom's was really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was SO good. Not a light calorie option, but our 14 year old ate half of it at once, so I know it was a winner. :-)

      Delete
  7. Potato salad is my favorite - I usually boil the potatoes and eggs together the day before to save a wee bit of time but all the chopping! We too save it for special occasions (had it at Easter). Question - are workers at your Costco wearing masks? Ours weren't 10 days ago but hubby drug me there yesterday and they all were which made us feel way more comfortable wearing ours. So few people were before, perhaps it is now a trend, people realize that is the best way to help others and this is long-term

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Workers at our Costco are definitely wearing masks!

      I love the idea of boiling the potatoes & eggs together. Although, Sam loved the potato salad, he didn't like the egg mixed in, so I might make the next version with the egg thinly sliced on top as decoration (how my grandmother made hers), so you could eat around the eggs a bit more.

      Delete
  8. My husband loves potato salad and I do make it, don't mind the work as almost everything I do is scratch but it is the calories that he can't have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it is such a lovely treat! Yum. But yes, definitely a rare splure.

      Delete