Friday, April 3, 2020

Frugal Friday

Well, we had a record high grocery spending month in March, so I'm not sure anything qualifies as frugal. But, we're doing the best. Why was our grocery bill so high? 20 meals + snacks that M & I would normally have at the office (breakfast + lunch x2, x M-F) adds up. We also didn't shop around to get great deals & focused on what was available wherever we were at. We stocked up more than normal for sure (no hoarding). And, we added treats to keep things fun around the house during the quarantine.

All that aside, here are the frugal wins for the week.


Saving on things we buy:
  • Picked up takeout (vs using delivery service) to save slightly on the cost
Earning money:
  • I've gone back to Microsoft Rewards in the morning. About 1/2 way to an Amazon gift card.
  • I took some spare time this weekend to list items on eBay, and have already earned ~$80 with three sales. Applied the extra money towards our mortgage. 
Avoiding spending:
  • This is a regular thing, in that we are avoiding anything outside of our core shopping trips. For example, I was out of mayo this weekend while making coleslaw. I subbed Greek yogurt, vs running to the store. This is happening repeatedly, especially on weekends. 
  • I called my broker about an error on their side. I wasn't sure how much it would cost, but they credited back the $6 in cost, which was a small win. 
  • I was supposed to be on a girls trip this weekend. I'm very disappointed not to be there, but I've saved about $250 in costs. 
  • We were supposed to go to Costco yesterday (made it to 8 days without shopping), but they have new hours & were closed early.
  • Continued to use up pantry & freezer ingredients. In fact, I cleaned out our entire garage freezer, wiping it down & organizing the food, so I could better tell what we had on hand. 
What about you? Any frugal wins for the week?

3 comments:

  1. Eating good food is an essential way to combat both stress and boredom (the which merge in the present crisis). If you can persuade yourself to suspend your budget goals for the foreseeable future (this is not going to end soon), double or triple your food budget, Roderick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did manage to pick up some chicken legs yesterday when I had to make a local small store run for items that weren't available on my last pickup order. That store is more expensive so in the end I think it still cost me more but I didn't have to stand in line with a bunch of people and still managed to get a bunch of hard to find items like baking powder, semolina flour to make pasta and boxed tissue for Mom. I spent zero dollars on anything other than absolute necessities (treats were stocked up on a few weeks ago as well as liquor). I am going to try and make cotton face masks from Mom's fabric stash (hoard) and she has elastic as well so zero will spent there. Make do times, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just eating what we can out of the freezer and staying out of stores is a win. Also was able to get free things at Albertsons on their monopoly game.

    ReplyDelete