Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Back to school - it's happening!

 I'm not at all ready for back to school in its new form, but regardless of how I feel, it's on for Thursday. Nick starts with a full online schedule on Thursday. Sam & I will pick up books at school & supplies on Thursday, and then (online) classes begin on Monday. 

I've had quite a bit of anxiety on how to best support the kids during this transition, and I've decided that we'll do some experiments, but also know that we don't yet know what we need to do (as parents) quite yet. That helps to reduce some anxiety, and reminds me that it will be an iteration, and we're not going to get it right out of the gate. Having a child with a learning disability increases that anxiety, as many of the adjustments we put in place with the school last year don't apply during online learning. 

What else is new? I'm doing a 2 month challenge to bike/run/walk 15 miles per week. It's a virtual fundraiser & have a few friends doing it as well. I'm looking forward to tracking miles & staying motivated.

Random acts of kindness (or, whatever the right name is for this stuff):

  • Volunteering to package & prep books for textbook pick up at the high school
  • Sponsored students in a friend's classroom via Scholastic. Normally, fliers go home, but with the move to online & a major economic crisis where she teaches, that won't be happening this year. Love that books will still get to kids who need them.
  • Made a donation to the Equal Justice Initiative
Please share any positive things you've been up to this week! Inspire us. :-) 



7 comments:

  1. We've sent thank you, condolence, and thinking of you cards; baked condolence and just because treats for friends; and sent a meal delivery to a friend who's going through a rough time. Oh supported a friend fundraising for their pet's medical needs.

    How did you manage the Scholastic sponsorship? That sounds like something friends and I would be interested in doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love the meal delivery service, & need to investigate that. Was it a subscription, or the option for a one time deal?

      For the Scholastic, I'm paying the teacher directly. She mentioned it on social media, and I reached out to her. Not sure if there are more formal options.

      Delete
    2. Just one time meal orders! I've been using Goldbelly for a little while. It's definitely on the pricier side but because this comes out of a giving budget I don't mind so much, and it suits the purpose much better than the other options I've explored in the past which were complicated and required a subscription and ultimately were a lot more expensive because of the commitment.

      I've even considered using them for our wedding anniversary because one of the places we used to go on dates to in LA is on there :)

      Let me know if you want to try them and want a referral. I seem to remember seeing something like $25 or 25% off your first order or something along those lines. I'd have to log in to be sure though, I'm not in my account right now.

      Delete
  2. Going back to school is so different now. My grandkids are going back face to face but how long will that last? Their parents are prepared if school is shut down again. They have a learning area in their home that the kids can use to go virtual if necessary.

    I know you will do all you can to help your kids to do well with this new school year. :-) Keep advocating for your student with learning disabilities. Insist on being heard and finding the best methods for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virtual learning is such a challenge for someone with ADHD. Remembering the schedule at home, without the traditional bells, teachers & just walking to class with friends. Also, distraction is of course a huge challenge, and a laptop is full of distractions outside of the classwork. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  3. So much has changed with schools this year. Our local schools are offering multiple options, which is good. I'm not going back for right now, not until this passes at least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am neck deep in the fall school roll out and the anxiwty is high everywhere. Takeit one day at a time, and remember tht your best is going to be good enough.

    ReplyDelete