Monday, August 24, 2020

Focusing on gratitude

 It's been an adventure over the last 24 or so hours. Our house is very, very close to the "get ready" evacuation zone. That means that we are not required to evacuate, but we are about a mile from the "caution" area, that they provide to give people a heads up & to put a plan together for an evacuation. Currently, the fire lines have held, and it looks like they won't need to extend the evacuation zone. This is great news for all of the families near us.

We did spend time last night preparing: discussing the situation with the kids, considering what we would need to pack (kids text books, items from working & schooling from home, etc in addition to standard "go bag" type of items.) We also discussed our plan of where to go & how to get there. 

There is a metaphor about stress and a glass. Basically, when your glass is already full, any additional stressors, no matter how small, can feel overwhelming. That's where I'm at right now. We're living in a pandemic, we can't really be outside due to the poor air quality. The kids are transitioning to online learning... being prepared for wildfire evacuations feels challenging right now. 

I noticed my stress level rising tremendously yesterday, and while that's reasonable given the situation, I woke up (after a very poor night's sleep) reaffirming my desire to manage my stress level today. 

My plan for managing my stress level today includes:

  • Working out (indoor, because of the air quality)
  • Meditation
  • A few round the block type walks, assuming the air quality drops a bit
  • Deep breathing
  • Taking breaks
  • Making a list of what I'm grateful for
And, with that, trying to focus on the positives. Here's what I'm grateful for today:
  • We did not have to evacuate last night
  • We are now more prepared, in the event we should have to evacuate
  • We are able to use more of the kitchen, which makes meal prep easier
  • I was able to have a quick chat with our lovely neighbors last night, while dropping off some garden treats
  • My family is healthy, during this challenging time
  • Both kids are adjusting reasonably well to online learning
  • The weather is cooler, which makes it easier to keep the house cool (challenging with the smoke outside)
  • We have more than enough. We have a house we can go to, if we need to evacuate. We have family, friends, & financial resources that can get us through this situation, should the need arise. 
Hope everyone is doing well & staying safe.

14 comments:

  1. Thinking good thoughts for you. My brother and sister-in-law are in Santa Rosa - they've had their bags packed by the door for a week now. They've only been back in their house for about a year since the last fires (their house didn't burn down, but the smoke damage was so extensive they had to practically gut it anyway).

    We're having a ton of rain from a thunderstorm right now (CT) - wish I could send some your way (minus the lightening!)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And, sending good thoughts for your family in Santa Rosa. What a challenging situation for them to be experiencing AGAIN, after such a hard time.

      Delete
  2. Hugs to you and your family - praying you will not have to evacuate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel awful for you, your family, and everyone currently being affected by the fires. Sincere question - with everyone working and studying remotely is it plausible to head to your beach house for a week or two? At least two of your four stressors could be alleviated for a little bit.

    Hang in there if not, and try to take things one day at a time. Perhaps plan small daily treats. And hopefully usage of your pool is still an option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've talked about the beach, & it's definitely our evacuation plan (assuming the route is clear, which isn't a given, because of the numerous fires). We're hoping the AQI clears up soon, because both of the boys have pod based sports activities they are hoping to rejoin once they can.

      Delete
  4. It's no wonder your stress levels are through the roof! Glad you are taking the time to focus on the positives and do the things needed to help you get through it all. stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so true that once we hit our maximum load of major stressors, every little thing becomes Too Much.

    I did a good job last week managing it but at the end of the week I accidentally blew it up. I'm going to focus on trying to take it one step at a time and try not to get too derailed by trying to do everything all at once.

    My fingers are crossed that the fires don't come any closer to you and you don't need the evacuation plan. May you stay safe and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And, likewise. Stay healthy, balanced & sane, which is not an easy task to manage right now.

      Delete
  6. Forgive me, but I can't help myself--but you know, if you Californians had just raked the forest floor.....AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH. C'mon, November!
    Seriously, I hope you stay calm, and stay safe. Call me Pollyanna, but intentional gratitude is a great stress buster, isn't it? Of course, preparation helps too--controlling what you can control.
    Stomach bug hit me Sunday night right after dinner--I spent 34 hours in bed. It was dreadful, but the upside is that the kids rallied while I was down, and took care of many things. Youngest and Girl cleaned the house, Eldest took them out for dinner so nobody would have to monkey around in the kitchen they cleaned, and DD brought me drinks and crackers throughout the day. DH said he just sat back and watched them get to work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! So sorry to hear about your stomach bug. Hope you are feeling better, and so happy the kids were such a big help. That's awesome!

      Delete
  7. How very scary. Hugs to you and your family. Everyone has "stuff" to deal with these days, and doesn't it seem like more "stuff" is getting piled on? Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More stuff is getting piled on for sure. Big hugs to you & hope you are well.

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness, my heart goes out to you all. You have a great attitude considering what is going on there. You are so right to try and bring down your stress levels. Sending good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is scary. Hubs fought fire for more than 30 years. I hope you have a good no burn ratio around your place. I will pray for your safety my friend.

    ReplyDelete