Sunday, August 16, 2020

Thunder, lightning & menu plans

 Wow, it was a crazy night with thunder & lightning, and rain. We haven't had rain in months, & all of the weather was totally unexpected, with breaking news weather alerts going off throughout the night. I was awake from 3:00 am until 5:30, and finally fell asleep until 6. I was supposed to meet a friend for an early hike to avoid the heat, but we won't be doing that thanks to the continued risk of lightning. We may meet for a socially distanced coffee instead.

I'm tired, so it will be a long day today!

Here's what's on my list:

  • Vacuum. We had lots of people working on various zoned off areas in the house, so want to get everything cleaned up
  • Menu plan
  • Pick up a few school supplies at Rite Aid
  • Review work schedule for the week
  • Build a training plan/schedule
  • Clean outside fridge/freezer (didn't get to it yesterday)
  • Laundry. My constant friend
  • I need a couple of miles for my walking challenge, so will need to go when it cools off. 
That's pretty much what's happening today. 

Here's the menu for the week, with the goal of having at least appliances back in the kitchen by the end of next weekend. (Cabinets won't be finished, but I'll be grateful for a sink & dishwasher!)

  • Saturday - we had street tacos from Costco + salsa verde (yum!)
  • Sunday - M will grill the pre-mix/seasoned fresh burger patties from Costco, and I picked up a potato salad from Trader Joes. Not our normal jam (we'd make these on our own, in non-kitchen remodel times), but it will work
  • Monday - Impossible burgers (vegetarian option) that Sam has been wanting to try
  • Tuesday - orange chicken & cauliflower rice
  • Wednesday - leftover burgers
  • Thursday - hot dogs & salad, watermelon
  • Friday - pizza or tacos
  • Saturday - we may go out to a socially distanced patio restaurant option 
What about you? What's on your menu for the week?

16 comments:

  1. I was so confused when I woke up this morning to what I was absolutely convinced was the sound of people rolling their garbage bins. Why so many garbage bins, folks??

    Nope, just a severe thunderstorm!

    I haven't decided on a menu for the week but I am having a real hankering for turkey burgers this week and I'm hoping that a few more cravings will pop up before we need to do our grocery shopping so we can be thorough and get everything we need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! The burgers we bought at Costco were so good last week that I put them back on the menu this week. I couldn't quite get enough. That said, they are very $$

      Delete
    2. Forgot to mention that I thought they were doing construction near us, and that was causing all of the noise. It was crazy!

      Delete
  2. It's going to be hot here in the PNW...90's predicted in Seattle. We're a bit north and on the water, but I will probably insist on the a.c. come noon or so. But, of course, you simply HAVE to can on the hottest day of the year, don't you? I have blackberries to jam and zucchini to turn into relish. If I lose my motivation, I'll pack the berries in gallon bags, and shred the zucchini and just pop it all in the freezer. Tonight's dinner is egg salad on lettuce. Ho hum, but we do have fresh blackberry pie with homemade ice-cream. Here's to a good week for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laugh because my grandparents always drove to Yakima with their truck, and brought back pears, peaches & green beans (they had a huge garden, but this was needed for canning) & they would call my mom & we would all head over & can. I swear it was without a doubt, always the hottest few days of the year! I don't miss the heat but absolutely miss the family time & those fresh canned & frozen treats. My grandmother's freezer peaches were incredible. I can't remember the details, but they had orange juice in them.

      Delete
  3. Love our rare summer thunderstorms for sure, and am curious if your system will eventually makes it way to SoCal. If it does, we'll definitely enjoy the show.

    We're looking at about two weeks of high temps here along the coast - high 80's, which always feels warmer due to the higher humidity here. So I see a lot of sand walks in my immediate future. Right along the shoreline is always pleasant even as it gets warm just a few yards in. It's amazing the difference a few feet can make.

    Hoping you'll share just a few kitchen photos when your project is complete as I'm sure it's going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wild experience in the night, because it wasn't expected. We have a few downed trees in our neighborhood, so I'm guessing there was also quite a bit of wind. Fingers crossed forest fires don't become an issue.

      Hope things stay cool for you! And, I'll definitely get in some photos. Do you mind me asking the general location of whereabouts you are? We're researching options for when the kids are out of the house. We want a similar climate to what we have now, but cheaper & not necessarily as crowded.

      Delete
    2. Coastal South Orange County, specifically the San Clemente/Dana Point region. It's paradise - clean, cool, pretty, vibrant. And much less traffic then the rest of Orange County. We also love coastal N. San Diego County, which is just south of us. From Carlsbad down to La Jolla specifically. Carlsbad is slightly less expensive, with prices rising as you move south, i.e., closer to San Diego city.

      Delete
    3. Excellent - thanks so much for the detail! We've discussed that general area before (M's best friend is in Carlsbad).

      Delete
  4. We ate food from my sister in laws garden all week. Still have squash and coleslaw to eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! My husband has been begging for coleslaw. I've reminded him that he needs to get the kitchen back up & running for that to happen :-)

      Delete
  5. Your menu sounds delicious, especially the street tacos. We love tacos here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having a different type of taco this week, to use up the salsa verde. We also love tacos! :-) I'd have them once a week if I could.

      Delete
  6. I am so impressed that you are managing to feed your family without doing take out every meal while the construction is happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are hanging in there! If restaurants were open, we'd definitely be doing more eating out, but I don't find takeout as appealing, so the pandemic is working in our favor, on that one very minor point. ;-)

      Delete
  7. Love our rare summer thunderstorms for sure, and am curious if your system will eventually makes it way to SoCal. If it does, we'll definitely enjoy the show.

    thunder storms

    ReplyDelete