Friday, January 22, 2021

Frugal Friday

Another reasonably frugal week under our belts. Here's what we've been up to this week. 


Saving on things we buy

  • As I mentioned in the gift card post, I used Target gift cards to buy some fill in grocery items this week (snacks, & items we needed for meals) that they don't carry at Costco. All told, I bought $58 worth of groceries for $3.72 (I only brought a few gift cards along). I also was able to use $.27 in Target Circle earnings, which I didn't know I had. The boys were thrilled to see an influx of new snacks. I try not to buy too much, and just have a few options at any given time. With two teen boys, if I had an endless amount, they would definitely eat it!

Earning money

  • Continued to list & sell things on eBay & FB market place
  • Sold:
    • a pair of soccer cleats that were outgrown during COVID
    • an oven element that we never used (we had stacked ovens, and only one worked). We replaced both during the remodel. 
    • A fold up/carrying picnic table 
    • A Star Wars hoodie (a gift)
    • A really old vintage JCrew beach bag

Avoiding spending

  • Picked up the Friday Freebie at our grocery store (1.25 liters of sparkling water)
  • Used the oranges from the yard in cranberry orange muffins. Juiced the extra (I needed zest from two, but juice from only one) & then juiced the remaining zested orange. Added that to an open container of apple juice the boys use for smoothies
  • A neighbor was giving away 200 lemons from her tree. We picked some up & made a double batch of lemon curd & have a batch of limoncello going as well. Yum!
  • Another neighbor had a huge box of mandarins out (as you can tell, citrus fruit grows really well here), with a big free sign. I picked up four, and will make more muffins with them. 

For others

  • Made lemon curd from the lemons a neighbor gave us. Dropped off lemon curd to the neighbors who picked up our mail while we were gone (unexpectedly) & to our other neighbor across the street. Share the wealth!
  • Used the Box Top app to scan my receipts & earn a little back for Nick's school
  • Worked at my volunteer role
  • Donated money to the local middle school 
  • Offered our basketball hoop to our neighbor. Our boys rarely play & are ready to give it up. Her boys are the perfect age for it. 
What about you? Any frugal wins, or things for other to report?

6 comments:

  1. I've seen a few community freebies lately on our local page and I think I'm going to see what old sports equipment other families wit children can use. Nice of you to give the hoop away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely nice to share the wealth. I'm finding books & sports equipment are in high demand, as libraries are closed here (still, since March) & all sports activities are paused.

      Delete
  2. That was so nice of your neighbor to give you all those lemons. I would have loved that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. Citrus grows so well here, and I hate food waste & feel compelled to make sure everything gets used & enjoyed.

      Delete
  3. Boy I would love to be close to so much citrus. I finally sold something on the market place and I lowered all my prices on the other things.

    ReplyDelete