Saturday, January 30, 2021

Good things

Good things feel few & far between in COVID times, but here are two things I'm celebrating on this Saturday.


  • Long time readers may remember that Sam was hit by a car while biking to school last year. It's taken ~18 months & lots of calls & emails, but both asks that I made to the county/city/freeway people were finally approved & implemented! You can no longer make a free right on red, in the midst of an incredibly busy intersection featuring many bikers & pedestrians. And, the people exiting the freeway on a short exit ramp are now warned about entering a heavy bike/pedestrian area. The only reason the required work could be done was because...no kids are currently biking/walking to school due to COVID, so I'll take my blessings where I can. Sidenote: still can't talk/write about the accident without crying, because...it was an incredibly close call. We are so blessed to have a healthy (almost) 15 year old.
  • I've been experimenting with intermittent fasting, and have realized how important it is to distract yourself during periods of intense hunger. Combine that with my parents (both 65+) being unable to locate a COVID vaccine in their very rural community. In an attempt to distract myself from feeling hungry, I started researching. And, several hours later, I found an appointment for both of my parents! They will need to drive 3 hours each way, wait for an hour between appointments, but they are so incredibly excited to get an appointment. My dad's biking buddy is in their "bubble", and they were able to get him an appointment at the same time, so they will all get a vaccine next Friday. I can't describe how happy & grateful I am to know that my parents will be able to get a vaccine. Woohoo! Yeah for being hungry & needing a distraction. Also, what a milestone. One step closer to normalcy. My parents have been spending hours each day attempting to locate a vaccine appointment, so this is such an exciting step for them.
And with that, it's Saturday! Here's my list that I'd like to accomplish today:
  • Make ham salad. I've never had or made ham salad, but I have a package of ham that needs to be used up, and it looks intriguing.
  • Use up lemons/limes that neighbor dropped off
  • Package & mail eBay sale
  • Work out
  • Get refi papers sorted. We're a week or so away, and have the final items to complete
  • Pick up a few things at the store
  • Clean the house
  • Laundry (always)
It's a pretty short list & I'm feeling good about it. What about you? Tell me one good thing that's happened lately. 

18 comments:

  1. As a new reader, I didn't know about Sam. I am glad he's doing well and that you were able to channel this experience into something positive in order to save others from the same horror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually out of town (at Yosemite) with a work event, & my husband called, & said, "Sam was hit by a car on his way to school." And, then the phone connection died. I've never been more terrified in my life. It was an absolutely horrific, awful experience that I would never wish on anyone. So happy that this will keep the route safer for so many other kiddos.

      Delete
  2. So glad Sam was safe in that accident - and that you were able to get some changes to prevent it from happening to others. Well done on the vaccine spaces for your parents. Rollout in Canada is much slower due to the vaccine companies over promising and under delivering. I might get it in April as an immune compromised person (along with the 80 year olds). Mom in May, hubby in July (all based on age). They did manage to vaccinate most of the people in long term care homes before our vaccine shortage so that will hopefully prevent some deaths. Such a clusterf*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just an absolute crazy mess here. I'm very tech savvy, and found it to be an awful experience to try & find something. I think if you are associated with a major medical program, it's much smoother. Being in a small town, my parents just see a private practice doctor, which means they have to go to a Costco or mass vaccine sites. Getting an appointment there is near impossible.

      Delete
  3. One good thing...my family is still healthy. We are so thankful for that. So glad your parents and their friend were able to get an appointment. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very happy for your family's ongoing good health. What a gift it is right now.

      Delete
  4. A dishwasher was delivered! It all went downhill after that. But, I am over the incredible sadness of not having it installed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have a dishwasher! Sorry to hear things went sideways after that. Fingers crossed it improves.

      Delete
  5. Good for you. Hubs does intermittent fasting and it really works for him and you are right he is hungry! So happy for you on your ability to try and protect other kids and on getting your parents on a vaccine list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually not minded the IF at all. Once you get into it, it does get so much easier.

      Delete
  6. How strong of you to keep after changes that will keep others safe!I'm hoping the new leadership figures out the vaccine distribution chaos. Not lying is a good first step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a terrible experience, & it really makes you want to keep other kids safe!

      Delete
  7. Those are two really wonderful things, especially given their attendent frustrations before you got to this point.

    JB got to have an outdoor masked distanced playdate with a very conscientious kiddo close to their age and it is so good to see them having active outdoor fun with a friend finally. We also really enjoy the company of that kid's parents so we were able to visit while the kids played. My body is tired but my spirits are lifted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy JB got to have a play date, as did the parents! :-) Nick is back to masked, outdoor volleyball & today got to attend a practice. He was grinning from ear to ear with the opportunity to spend time with friends.

      Delete
  8. What a great win with the city/county and traffic issues.
    I do intermittent fasting and really do like it. It does take getting used to, but now I am rarely hungry before 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! How many days/week do you do the fasting?

      Delete
  9. Wow sorry to hear about what happened to your son. I think its admirable how you turned a near tragedy into something that may save some other kids life. Right on for that.

    Glad that your parents are able to get a shot. Are they in CA? I'm itching to push my own parents to get theirs as well.

    One good thing that happened this weekend was I received our annual "vacation" check from my union. Nice to get a little bump in the income since my company didn't do bonuses last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the bike accident was a crazy, horrible situation, but we got very lucky in two ways. 1) He was just entering the intersection, so damage was more minimal & my son had relatively minimal abrasions & bruises 2) the driver tried to flee the scene, but the driver behind them forced them to pull over & then kept my son in his car until the police arrived. The awesome driver stayed until my husband was there, served as a witness (for both insurance & the police) & followed up several times to check on our son. What an awesome guy. I have less kind words to say about he driver, who then proceeded to scream, yell & threaten a 13 year old & lie to the police. But, justice was served in the end.

      My parents are actually in Washington state. They've had trouble with vaccine distribution, with Oregon residents traveling to WA, and now WA is running short on vaccines. That's particularly an issue with the area my parents live in (close to the OR border), which is part of the reason they will have to drive quite a ways.

      Delete