In decidedly unfrugal news, M surprised me, by arranging a flight, so I could join my sister & BFF this weekend, as they were together. They are doing a half marathon. I haven't trained *at all*, so I'm planning to do a 10k& hope for the best. We did have flight credits, but woohee, flights are super pricey. Our anniversary is in a few weeks, and he knows me well - experiences are definitely my preferred gift!
Saving on things we buy
- Used $4 in coupons for Safeway, off of 4 items. The app had the offer, and I've successfully used it before, but it didn't work this time. The cashier was very friendly & made it work.
- Picked up Panera after Nick's tennis tournament. Used the last of a few small gift cards, and an offer for a free loaf of bread. The boys love the Panera baguettes, and polished it off in no time.
- Listed a few items on eBay & sold another of M's outgrown jackets.
- Drove Nick to reffing, so he could earn money. Or, rather, I sat in the car & supervised, while he drove, as he has his learner's permit.
- Rather than buying flavored sparkling water (the kids drink it really quickly), I've been using the bubly sparkling water drops in my water bottle. They are intended for a Soda Stream, but the teens don't use the Soda Stream much. This gives me a nice change from plain water, and is zero cost (we already have the flavors on hand, and a little goes a long way).
Eating what we have
- I used leftover chicken from Nick's dinner to make a salad for lunch. It was quite good. As long as there is protein to put on top of a salad, I'm pretty happy.
- Made muffins out of things in the fridge that needed using up (two different yogurts, a splash of juice, oat milk, etc.) I picked up cranberries at the store, and turned that, plus pantry ingredients & the random fridge items into M's favorite muffins. Lots of substitutions, but they turned out great.
- Similarly, I had a muffin & the remnants of a salad for lunch on Monday, when I was working from home.
- Went through all of the Halloween costumes, and listed everything on Buy Nothing. Gave away all of it in no time.
- Helped a neighbor repair her mop. She was very frustrated, and didn't want to have to toss it.
- Gave away other random stuff on BN. It's homecoming time, so I went through & found a few things (black clutch, etc) that others can use. I've liked trying to be seasonal (e.g. Halloween costumes, etc). I also am giving away other random things I stumble across, but the seasonal items help draw attention to the rest. ;-)