Wednesday, February 17, 2016

A few frugal things

I love remembering all of my frugal activities over the past week. Particularly during weeks that were spendy. It's nice to remind myself that there are always a lot of small opportunities for making frugal decisions. So, here are a few of them from the last week or so:


  • We brought snacks & water with us to the airport. Approximate savings = $12
  • We brought our own wine to dinner for my birthday. Approximate savings = $25
  • I earned a $5 Swagbucks gift card, and redeemed it using a birthday offer for 55 bonus swagbucks.
  • We ordered gift cards online for our hotel way back when they had a holiday offer, and received extra "bonus bucks". We redeemed them for an activity that the kids would be taking part in. Savings = $50
  • We compared prices for airport parking vs Uber, and saved $31.
  • We'd planned to take the kids bowling yesterday, as our flight wasn't until 4:20. (I'll not make it for that late in the day again, as it's hard to get everything sorted out & makes the next work day very rough!). However, neither kid was feeling great, so we let them watch a movie & relax at the airport & killed a few hours there. Approximate savings = $30.
  • I booked an "early bird" massage for my birthday (starting at 9:00 am), for a $50 discount. I would have never gotten a massage that expensive without the discount, so I'm not really considering it a savings. But, I did get a more valuable treatment, so win! :-) 

And, there you have it! Approximate savings for the past week or so = $153! How about you? Did you have a frugal week? Any big wins?

6 comments:

  1. I found just ripe bananas for .22 cents a pound, sold 2 items on the weekend on our 24 hr Facebook bidding site that went straight into the weekends away fund - $52 bucks. I booked our weekend away at a rustic cabin at a much lower rate than I thought I was going to have to pay so it is now fully funded and I can begin working on a "hopefully" weekend on Gabriola Island for my Birthday in August. Every little bit counts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are great wins! Love it. And, Gabriola Island sounds like a great weekend getaway.

      Delete
  2. Happy belated Birthday!!! Sounds like you were able to save a lot! LOVE that you got a massage for your birthday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the massage was absolutely amazing! I couldn't believe how different I felt (shoulders, neck, back) afterward. I was like a new person! :-)

      Delete
  3. I love that you are being frugal within the confines of what you and your family want. I get tired of frugality being only thought of as deprivation. Frugality is making the most of what you have while doing what is important to you and only you. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's definitely our strategy. We try (not always successful) to ensure we're spending our money in a way that reflects our priorities. We still spend a lot on travel, etc, but make it as affordable as possible.

      Delete