Friday, July 1, 2022

Frugal Friday

 We were out of town for part of the week, so there are some additional travel related wins. Wins aside, traveling is expensive! So, saving where we can is important. 


Saving on things we buy

  • Used a $20 grocery store reward to do a fill in shop, while the kids are out of town
  • Uploaded receipts to Fetch & iBotta. I'm in a good habit of uploading all of my receipts to Fetch. With iBotta, I'm typically only doing the standard $.10 receipt offers, when those crop up. 
  • Researched transportation options to the airport. Uber used to be less expensive than airport parking, but it's gone up so much. We weren't able to do the pre-book online airport parking (you save an extra 20%), as it was sold out, but it was still cheaper than Uber both ways. 
  • Saved $14 on a pair of shorts for M (slowly adding to his closet, after he gave away almost everything, due to weight loss), by using a reward. Earned another $1.10 on Rakuten, & paid the remaining balance with a gift card.
  • Bought a travel gift card at the grocery store, earning a $60 grocery store gift card

Earning money

  • Nothing outside of our standard paychecks. However, it's on the to do list to get a bunch of stuff listed on eBay over the next few weeks.

Avoiding spending

  • We filled our water bottles at the airport, and avoided buying any food, both ways. I'm usually weak on the way back from a trip, & splurge.
  • Took advantage of comp'd food from my husband's poker tournament. 
  • Attended two free fitness classes at work (spinning & yoga), and had free breakfast/lunch x2 at the office

Eating what we have

  • Using lots of garden lettuce & tomatoes in our salads
  • Defrosted a pan of chicken enchiladas that my mom made when she was here, and we had those for two dinners
  • Avoided eating out after a late flight on Sunday, and made a frozen pizza + salad for dinner. It got everyone fed!
  • Made a grilled cheese, to go with a box of tomato/red pepper soup. The soup expired six months or so ago, and I wanted to get it used up. A grilled cheese to go with it is required! Okay, if not required, seriously enhances the flavor of the soup. Yum. 

For others

  • Continued my monthly contribution to my aunt's health care
  • Sent money to the boys, to cover a meal out with my parents at Disneyland. 
That's it from our side. What about you? Any wins to share?

4 comments:

  1. Mine are just little efforts here and there. DH wants to go out for dinner. I can't say I'll object, but for bringing food other places, with the exception of just a couple things. I'll use up stuff we have here so will avoid food waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the small stuff that really adds up over time!

      Delete
  2. Yes, grilled cheese and soup go together and are delicious. Nice to have the frozen enchiladas from your Mom’s visit. I hope you all have a happy and safe 4th of July.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made cheeseburgers with all the fixings such as home grown tomatoes from my neighbor, Vidalia onions etc, potato salad, sautéed spinach, and sliced watermelon for my middle son and his work crew after they worked all day building a deck. They have a construction business. Everyone seemed pleased. I think they were just hungry… lol. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete