Friday, July 8, 2022

Frugal Friday

It was a week! It doesn't feel particularly frugal, as M drove to pick up Sam when he had COVID, & gas prices are $$$. The rest of the week was all about the garden, & using things up. 


Saving on things we buy

  • Did another grocery store offer, buying a travel gift card, & earning a $60 grocery store gift card
  • Bought a $1 bag of tomatoes from the produce stand. It weighed just over 5 lbs. We have quite a few tomatoes, but I wanted to make a triple batch of pico de gallo
  • I booked M a night in Medford, so he could stop & sleep during the drive to pick up Sam. I was able to use some reward points to cut off about 1/2 of the stay. 
  • Took advantage of a 1/2 off drink coupon at Starbucks, and indulged in an iced tea/lemonade combo. We had no power, & I was trying to avoid being in the fridge. This was a nice treat. 

Earning money

  • Sold three of M's outgrown shirts on eBay, as well as a hat
  • Listed a few new items on eBay

Avoiding spending

  • Returned a few things we bought, that didn't work out
  • Discovered I had everything on hand to make the watermelon, blueberry, feta salad for the 4th of July. 
  • Picked up a few groceries from a neighbor who is moving, and can't bring the items with her
  • Used a gift card to pick up Subway for Sam (his choice) when we had no power on Tuesday. He was thrilled. The foot long came with a free 6" sandwich, so that was also my lunch. 
  • Picked up a free container of hummus through a Fetch offer
  • Took advantage of a free spinning class through work

Eating what we have

  • We were able to use up lots of garden items this week:
    • Juiced lemons, which we will use in salad dressing
    • Used parsley & oregano to make a chimichurri sauce
    • Fresh tomatoes & basil for a caprese salad
    • Lettuce, peppers & tomatoes for salads
    • Made a giant batch of pico de gallo, using up cilanatro, tomatoes & jalapenos
    • Strawberries on the 4th of July cake
    • Mint in the watermelon salad
    • Peppers in the macaroni salad
    • Jalapeno, cilantro & basil into a coconut curry dish, which is one of my favorite easy dinners I've made in years! Highly recommend
  • Used up some really old celery in my macaroni salad
  • Turned the tomatoes (above) into a triple batch of pico de gallo, as well as two batches of tomato sauce
  • Used leftover jams from the 4th of July cake in baked oatmeal, to have on hand for easy breakfasts. This baked oatmeal recipe was fantastic. 

For others

  • Gave away a bunch of additional items on Buy Nothing. It always makes me happy to get stuff out of our house, and into the hands of people who want them! Bags & bags on my porch, for others to pick up & enjoy!
  • Continuing to work on a leadership course, which will then enable me to serve in a non-profit advisory role for a university. 
What about you? Any wins to share?

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the link to the baked oatmeal. I do not like to eat breakfast but TheHub needs something to eat shortly after he wakes. This sounds like something I could make for him to keep in the fridge for an easy on demand way to start his morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really delicious! Depending on his preferences, he could top with yogurt or fresh berries. I love baked oatmeal, and keep it in the fridge for an easy breakfast.

      Delete
  2. I finally cleaned out the deep freeze and reorganized. We have to eat fish this month. I have three bags and," they need gone". As my Swedish father with no real command of the language would say. Now need to really use the inside freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it! I have many things in my freezer that "need gone"

      Delete
  3. I have been looking for a good baked oatmeal recipe and yours looks perfect. Thanks for sharing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! I love an easy breakfast option.

      Delete