Wednesday, March 18, 2020

It's hump day

I'm in an awkward place where my work demands have increased drastically (we are responsible for some Coronavirus response, but not in a medical sense.) I think many companies are having to think through how they are responding, due to staffing challenges, communication with partners, etc. It's really hard to juggle that with the kids. I'm hoping after I get through this week, which was particularly complicated as we roll out additional guidance to all of our remote teams, things will settle down. A girl has to dream, right?

Things that are helping:
  • FitBit says I was 70k under my previous week's steps, so while I'm going for walks as possible, it's clearly not enough. I need to "step it up". ;-)
  • Supporting others. Toilet paper donations to the neighbors, lots of video chats with friends & family. Helping my disabled aunt who was recently laid off. Remembering that a lot of people are in challenging positions. We're all in this together.
  • Meditation
  • Journaling
  • Hugging my kids/husband more than ever.
  • Meal planning. Always a priority, but more of one when I'm totally wiped out after a day of remote meetings. 
  • The six pack of herbal tea I ordered on Amazon. This was the highlight of my day yesterday.
  • YOGA
Anything else that's really working for you or your families right now? 

11 comments:

  1. Good luck on hugging a teenage boy!
    Hey, I had to say it.....lolz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's usually in a moment of weakness (when they are tired, just waking up, etc). You have to know when to take advantage of the weakness!

      Delete
  2. Since you still have good employment what about asking your nanny to watch the kids to ensure their homeschooling can take place/make sure the kids are dealt with? I can understand if you are trying to isolate your family - but I am sure she may need the money/hours. Just a thought. So many tough choices these days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because we have needed such few hours over the last year, our nanny accepted a new job (with our support). She is working for that family, but agree. We'd love to help her, and have been using her for evenings out here & there (pre lock down.)

      Delete
  3. I need to push my daughter to just start doing things to help at home since my hours are through the roof right now. She clearly will have time on her hands since it will just be her coursework, though she is on call for babysitting for various family members as needed. She's used to both a choir and orchestra, and loads of clubs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a big change for the kids, for sure. We're in between keeping them super busy and also giving them some down time.

      Delete
  4. You have nice coping mechanisms in place. I am relying on phone calls with my sons and of course FaceTime with my granddaughter. I really do miss social interactions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the FaceTime option with your granddaughter!

      Delete
  5. Just trying to do things that have been aggravating me. Things have really not changed here yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully things won't have to for you, because it's really unpleasant.

      Delete
  6. Daily walks, which has been having a threefold benefit- release of stress, the ability to have brief social interactions as people pass by at a careful, respectful 6 feet, and the ability to take in the simple moments of serenity achieved by observing nature in action. Today's walk yielded two osprey high overhead, and one feeding dolphin feeding just beyond the breakwater. It makes the rest of my day at home completely bearable. My daughter is doing same with my two granddaughters, and they appear to be loving it.

    We are under lockdown here in Orange County as well, so can feel your pain. I think I've moved beyond shock, to acceptance. This may life until the end of June. Having read the UK report that has now been accepted as valid by our, ahem, leaders, I understand that there will be an end to this even if it takes the full 18 months the report lays out.

    ReplyDelete