Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Freezer/pantry progress

Here's an update on my progress from my post on Things I Want to Use Up. Some good progress, with still some opportunities for sure.

  • Sushi rice (Sam bought for a school cooking project, so this is the remainder) Used for chicken stir fry
  • Multiple packs of sardines. These are M's, and he bought them when he first started doing Keto, but hasn't eaten many. No one else will eat them for sure, so I need to gently motivate
  • Several packages of Liptons onion seasoning. My parents bought it when they were here. I don't have any recipes that use this, so will need to come up with something
  • A huge jar of tahini. I need to make hummus, but will need other ideas, because there's no way we will eat that much hummus
  • A few jars of homemade pesto. I have a chicken recipe that uses pesto, so just need to make it - one down. 
  • Pine nuts. Not sure what I'll do with these
  • 1/2 a bag of frozen spring rolls. No one really loved them, but they need to be eaten - Done. Served with egg roll in a bowl, which provided a nice dipping sauce for the actual spring rolls.  
  • So, so, so many bags of frozen bananas. I've encouraged M to buy fewer each week, but that has gone unheeded. - I've used at least 3/4 of the bananas. I've made several batches of muffins, baked oatmeal, and the kids have used a bunch for smoothies. 
  • Mini pizzas. I'll make these for the kids for an upcoming lunch or dinner. - Woohoo! All 12+ of them have been consumed by small people, including when we needed to unexpectedly feed friends. 
  • Mini naan breads. About 1/3 gone. 
  • A package of gnocchi (meal kit). - gone. 
  • A package of salami & sopressata  - 1/2 of one gone. Used for homemade pizzas
  • 1 package of chicken noodle soup - Used up for lunch on Friday. 
  • 1 box of tomato pepper soup - Used last weekend, when no one was feeling very good. 

Other things I didn't even know we had at the time I made this list:
  • 1/2 of a leftover delivery pizza. Discovered in the freezer & quickly turned into a post soccer meal for the kids. 
  • A handful of dried cherries, that had been pushed to the back of the pantry. Used up in pineapple banana muffins. 
  • A huge bag of wings. Used at the boys birthday party
  • Brussel sprouts (freezer). I think my parents bought them & put them in the freezer. I just discovered them. I wasn't impressed with the way I prepared them, but the are out of the freezer!
  • 1/2 a bag of cubed butternut squash - I didn't love the texture, after freezing. But, I roasted it and served it as the base under the chicken pesto dish we had. 
  • the remainder a chicken pesto dish - we liked the flavor, but it had too much liquid during the original making. So, I roasted butternut squash to serve under it & absorb some of the liquid. It worked well. 

I'll put the mini naan & pizza on my list this week. We will likely also finish off the frozen bananas in smoothies. What about you? Anything you want to use up this week?

2 comments:

  1. For some reason, my husband once came home from Costco with a case of Lipton's onion soup mix. He was craving some vintage onion dip, apparently. I had no idea what to do with the other envelopes. I confess, though, that we seemed to enjoy the recipes I did find which used it. One favorite was with olive oil on potato cubes, then roasted. I also it on top of boneless skinless chicken breasts and carrots, and put in my slow cooker. (I was later told by a friend to also add a can of cream of mushroom soup--my face is swelling just thinking of that, but I bet it tastes great.)
    My mother used to sprinkle it on aluminum foil, then wrap a cheaper cut of roast, place it in a pan, and slow cook in a low oven all day long in the winter. This was a favorite in neighborhood growing up. Not sure how my kids would react to it.
    Nothing healthy to see here, but I couldn't bring myself to toss the stuff. Now, I make my own onion soup mix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tahini ideas are here. I did the cauliflower and it was pretty good https://forgetsugarfriday.com/tahini-recipes-keto-diet/

    ReplyDelete