Monday, March 23, 2020

Menu plan Monday

We've been prepping food, and planning our menu around what's available, trying to minimize trips to the store. We're hoping to go 10 days without another trip to Costco, using a grocery delivery service to fill in the gaps.

We are also eating much more than usual (M & I get free lunch & snacks at work, and I also eat breakfast at the office.) As a result, we are going through quite the amount of food. It's giving us an opportunity to dig through the freezer & pantry, and use up some things that aren't normally in the rotation. We're grateful that we went into this situation with a fully stocked kitchen.

Here's what's on the menu this week:

Saturday - we had steak & homemade dinner rolls (M couldn't find ground beef at the store, so came home with fancy steak. Steak it was!)
Sunday - M had salmon, and the rest of us had the remaining steak.
Monday - we'll have crockpot crack chicken. The kids will have it on the remaining dinner rolls. M & I will have it either in an avocado or in lettuce wraps, depending on available supplies.
Tuesday - I'm making spicy dragon noodles. M will have the remaining salmon
Wednesday - pesto chicken casserole
Thursday - leftover crack chicken
Friday - any remaining leftovers

Things I want to use up this week:
Naan bread (freezer)
Hummus (fridge)

We're almost out of nuts, which are a very popular snack here, so we'll need to find other creative options. What about you? Any creative meals ahead? 

12 comments:

  1. MMM-still a delicious plan. I made a hotdish with the rest of noodles I had made last week and set aside, the very last of the graduation sloppy joes, a can of tomato paste with two cans of water and tons of seasoning, and parmesan cheese resulting in no waste. I made a broccoli, crasin, and bacon bit salad for a side. The hotdish didn't turn out to bad, other than could have used more salt. We will all get very good with make do menu planning, and I guess appreciate our abundance all the more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, I"m already appreciating each ingredient that I have available, and definitely more focused than usual on using what I have creatively.

      Delete
  2. I meal plan in the morning - or 1 day ahead max but this week's meal plan is for Thursday burgers as that is the day hopefully burger buns will be available as I am picking up a grocery order rather than shopping in person. Life with so many choices has changed. We are so used to having everything at our fingertips or worse case scenario a quick trip to the store away. Last night hubby had salmon and rice, I had a premade burrito and rice (not a fish fan) and tonight we are having veggie stir fried rice with chicken breast. We did buy steaks which I will carefully meter out. We mostly eat at home so it hasn't been a hardship, just requires more planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lots of planning, and definitely fewer choices. It's making me more grateful for what we have.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a yummy plan! Not really being creative but definitely glad I can be in the kitchen cooking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Sam loves the dragon noodles, and they taste a lot like a takeout meal, so it's a good option right now

      Delete
  5. YUM on the meal plan. We are eating from our freezers and pantries. I am making all breads for Hubby. I froze some extra milk about 6 weeks ago. I am low on eggs and produce so I am having a grocery delivery tomorrow since we are not leaving our home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice that you were prepared, so you can remain home safely

      Delete
  6. I made the yummiest chicken with hummus last night. Chicken breast with salt and pepper, cover with generous amount of hummus, then add fresh lemon juice (I used one full lemon for 2 large breasts). It was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound fantastic. I may try that! Thanks for sharing

      Delete