Friday, March 20, 2020

It's Friday

It feels like day 1012 of shelter in place, but it's really just the end of the first week. We are doing our best, as everyone is, but it's definitely an adjustment on all sides.

Here are a few happenings around our house

  • I organized my pantry, because I was thinking of Kim's challenge! Or, at least I did three shelves. There is certainly more to do, but I'll take progress where I can
  • I've been on one walk with the kiddos this morning
  • M ate one of the sardine cans we've been trying to get rid of! Happy dance. Only two to go. 
  • On said walk, the boys football got stuck in a tree, and Sam climbed the tree to retrieve it. In hindsight, this was a terrible decision, because a fall could have resulted in the hospital, and no one needs that right now. 
  • I meditated. And journaled
  • I ordered groceries online. Next available delivery is a week away! 
  • M was able to get to Costco last night right before closing, and got about 1/2 of the items on our list. They were out of ground beef, so he opted for steak. A very similar replacement. ;-) I'm so grateful to have groceries that I can't drum up any energy to care about the cost.
  • We've agreed to have a planning meeting this weekend (or, maybe the majority of the weekend is for planning), so we can build schedules to support the kids remote learning kickoff next week. 
  • I chatted to a neighbor, from across the street
  • I sat out in the sunshine for a few minutes, and made a video for friends. (We use Marco Polo, which is a video chat app that you can use for a private group.) No Tik Tok dances involved.
  • I weeded, and filled up the yard waste bin. I may see if I can get Sam to step on what's there, so we can squeeze more in.  
It will certainly be a quiet weekend. I'm hoping to bake rolls, perhaps cookies, work on a puzzle with the kiddos, have some family games, and get exercise. What about you? What are you planning on doing this weekend? 

11 comments:

  1. You are so right, grocery cost is out the window. I found myself buying things to make us feel better on my last shopping trip, knowing that it will be a long time before we can eat out again. I did buy some seeds to start some veggies. My friend works at a greenhouse, they are closing their doors today and she snagged me a couple petunias - flowers will be like gold around here. I won't plant them in the front yard but will save them for the back where we can look at them. I stress cleaned today. Fridge, reorganized entire pantry, cleaned in the cupboard under the sink where the garbage is (didn't realize how bad it was) entire house dusted, vacuumed, bathrooms cleaned. Tomorrow seed planting and starting to organize the back yard. So glad we love where we live. Maybe even a drive to the ocean is in order. Trying to stay in good mental health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your idea of organizing & seed planting... and, what I wouldn't give for a walk on the beach right now! Sounds lovely.

      Delete
  2. I'm in the at this time money for food is not that big a deal, (yes I know that is not true for a lot of people). Bigger fish to fry as the saying goes. I have two children that are RN's, one works in ICU, the other certainly could be called to. Just starting in my state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sending good thoughts to you & your family. I'm sure they are in for a really challenging few weeks, so hopefully they have a good support system who can help them.

      Delete
  3. I don't worry (really) about the cost of food, because for about 2 years I have refused to dine out. I figure I can buy steak or wild salmon at full price, and feed all of us for less than the cost of one meal out.
    Frankly, there's been little change to our lifestyle. Today the younger two worked on building a chicken coop, while I readied some flower beds. Tomorrow I am going to finish the beds. Dinner was meatloaf, mashed potatoes, salad, and a homemade lemon pound came with sour cream glaze.
    I might have to go to a grocery store tomorrow--and I might call ahead to a nursery and have them have bags of bark waiting. In the evening, I will probably park myself at my sewing machine. H.S. supposedly rolling out online resources on 3/25. I am not up to helping with geometry for one kiddo, but a dear friend said if DS is willing, she will tutor. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need your kids to come & build a chicken coop for me! :-) Also, dinner sounds amazing. I'm inspired to bake as well.

      A retired geometry teacher has offered to help do video conferencing tutoring (for free) in our neighborhood, to which I'm eternally grateful. GOod luck with your DS tutoring. It's also out of my league!

      Delete
    2. I am pretty sure WA will not make this mandatory, but that will be a bit of information I shall keep to myself. DD really needs (I know I said DS, but it's DD) to apply herself, but I really don't think she will. She earns all A's save math--that is, and always has been a struggle. I have told both her and younger brother that they are at the point where their studies are their responsibility, not mine. I wish they were studious, as I was, but they claim "they're efficient."

      Delete
    3. I love reading about the shared learning and expertise. Who knows, maybe we will learn that it really does take a community to support all our kids.

      Delete
  4. TheHub works in the Health Care field and is having to work this weekend, so I will check in with Mom and then it is just business as usual here. I have managed to clean the pantry totally, clean the auxiliary food stash, clean the freezer in the fridge as well as the deep freezer.
    I have inventoried all of our food, and we do have a lot in the freezer, as well as emergency canned goods I keep all the time. We are alternating now between one tasty meal and one meal using bits and pieces of things. I seem to have about 20 frozen bags of assorted foods when I had just one serving left. We are calling them mystery meals since I am bad about writing the names of whatever it is on the labels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sending good thoughts to your husband, and I imagine this is such a hard time for him & his colleagues right now.

      I love your plan to alternate meals! We try & do two huge meals & then "gap fillers", which are whatever I can scramble together from the freezer. And, we have the same problem with frozen food bags! I'll never forget the time I thought I had pureed tomatoes & it was really persimmons. Used them in a spaghetti sauce... ;-)

      Delete
  5. I actually blogged this morning, but I've got my cell phone ever present in case of something that needs to be handled for work-we're tracking if and when any new funding is passed and how to harness existing dollars in new and immediate purposes particularly for emergency workers and health care workers. Daughter was doing any lingering school projects once home on Monday night through the week, and today is the funeral for my Brother-in-law, though quite differently held.Tomorrow though, after i work a shift at the call center, I am going to focus on my home and taking control of the environment we live in.

    ReplyDelete