Saturday, August 28, 2021

Hot & smoky Saturday

It's 100 degrees, high humidity, and our AQI (air quality) is over 150. Gross. 

I got up early, and woke up Nick so he could get ready for his morning soccer game. Our coach asked the home team if they wanted to cancel, due to air quality. We were right on the edge of the cancellation bar, with the day getting worse. The other team kept saying no, and insisting on playing. Fine. We drove to the field, & the home team had neglected to paint the lines, which is an automatic default & win for us. After that, they decided to cancel the game "due to air quality". Some people are just full of shenanigans. I would have rather not played, but have some common sense & cancel before you drag people to the field at 7:30 am on a Saturday & for the love of soccer, paint the fields if you want to play.

Anyway, from there, I went to volunteer at the cleat exchange, which was also outdoor. It was very hot, but I was happy to see people finding cleats for their kids. We had sizes from 2 (they are so tiny & adorable) to adult 13. My role was cleat organization (by size), checking wear, helping people find cleats that fit, & answering plenty of questions about soccer. 

After the cleat exchange, I volunteered to take the cleats that cannot be given out (too worn) to the shoe recycling at a local sports shop. I'm glad they won't be going to the landfill, at least. I also took home the two pair of like new baseball cleats that someone accidentally donated, & will give these away on Buy Nothing. 

Nick helped me out with the enormous box of recycling cleats (maybe 150+ pair), so we went to Starbucks for a cool drink after. I used a gift card, and earned extra stars, so I suppose it was a victory of sorts. I was mostly just happy to rehydrate.

Sam had two games scheduled for today. The first game cancelled due to air quality (with, lots of advance notice) & we're waiting to see about the second game. I hope it gets cancelled due to the smoke & heat, because it's a miserable day for soccer.

I should have taken a picture of the well organized cleat exchange. It made my environmental heart sing to see items stay in circulation.

How's the weather where you are, and what are you up to today?

12 comments:

  1. I love the cleat exchange. More efforts are needed to get progress on turning our environment around. I'm sorry for your husband early morning frustration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant your and your husbands early morning frustration-wasn't saying M was the frustration, LOL.

      Delete
    2. I didn't read it that way! (Although, sometimes he is a source of frustration ;-)

      Delete
  2. I live in central Mississippi so know about heat and humidity. We cancel vey little here to to hot weather. Right now, we are in hurricane preparation mode as Hurricane Ida gets ready to make landfall in South Louisiana some time tomorrow night. I live about 4 hours from the Mississippi Gulf Coast so could get some rain and wind after effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope everything went okay with the hurricane! Sending you good thoughts & dry weather!

      Delete
  3. I am sooo sorry the Bay Area is getting slammed again with smoke. It must be so difficult to be stuck indoors as a result. Hoping your pool is giving you all some relief at least?

    I love the cleat exchange. I don't think we had anything like that when my girls played soccer in the 90's. It would have been so nice to have that going on. I did work the snack shack during those years. Still can't look cheese nachos in the face as a result to this day. 😆

    I almost hate to mention how lovely the weather was today, a slightly breezy mid-70's. We took a 40 mile bike ride along the coast, eating lunch in Seal Beach at the halfway point. Currently home reading and listening to jazz. EZ dinner on tap of BLTA's and salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheese nachos are definitely a high school snack shack food! Nick wants to go to the football game on Friday, and his plans include hitting up 7-Eleven for "dinner" with friends ahead. "Dinner" would be: slurpees, a hot dog &, you guessed it, nachos. ;-)

      Your day sounds absolutely lovely!

      Delete
  4. I am sorry that your air quality is so terrible. Hopefully things improve.

    Cloudy, drizzle, and lots of fog around here.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The air quality has improved, and it's so nice to be outdoors again.

      Delete
  5. Yay for a well organized cleat exchange!

    Yesterday was definitely very gross for air quality so I'm glad today seems to be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has been really lovely for the last few days. Fingers crossed that it lasts (and, of course, that they get control of the fire/s).

      Delete
  6. Hope your sports seasons go well, and the transition to school is smooth! I'm like you & saving gift cards & points for treats, which is always a nice surprise.

    ReplyDelete