Saturday, August 14, 2021

Saturday happenings

Yesterday afternoon was filled with "adventure", as I helped to navigate a difficult situation with my special needs aunt. As she gets older, her decision making skills (already limited), decline. As my mom gets older, she finds it more challenging to stay on top of everything & gets more frustrated with the situation. My aunt has been repeatedly been scammed, sending checks, giving out her social security number, Medicare number, drivers license info, etc. She does not understand/recognize that she's special needs, and things are getting to the point where substantially more intervention will be required. It's a very emotional time for everyone. Also, how can you live with yourself as a scammer? It's just such a disgusting thing to do to another human.

I didn't sleep well, as a result of last night's situation, but I got up at six to help Sam get ready for a soccer tournament. His ride came at 6:55, so the morning was off to a very early start. I really could have used some extra sleep, but here we are. ;-) 

As soon as Sam left, I went for a long walk, which was nice, as the weather was lovely & cool. I came home, shredded a giant zucchini, and made three dozen zucchini muffins. I was also able to use some other bits & bobs from the pantry, which is always a win.

I'm driving to the next tournament game, and conveniently, Nick's scrimmage is only a few blocks away. Depending on how the tournament goes, there will likely be two additional games tomorrow. We shall see.

It's going to be a light to do list today, as I won't be home much of the day:

  1. Take Sam, Nick & bonus carpool kid to two games
  2. Make zucchini muffins
  3. Clean the kitchen
  4. Laundry
  5. Work out
  6. Give away at least 3 other zucchinis
  7. Organize & clean the fridge
  8. Make baked zucchini coins & caprese salad to go with dinner
  9. Have the boys go through their math school supply list (the only one they have) for Monday & ensure we have everything we need
That's it for me. What about you? What are you up to this weekend?

4 comments:

  1. Has anyone gotten a POA for your aunt to keep her assets safe? It is a hard decision but might have to be done for her protection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't yet. My grandmother took care of her, and had some of that loosely arranged, but nothing official. Everyone has been very careful not to take that hard step. Seeing how challenging things are now, and how much more difficult they are getting, my sister & I are pushing for this. My mom is older than her sister, which means there is also the possibility that my aunt could outlive my mom, and the responsibility would fall to us in any case.

      Delete
  2. Give away at least 3 more zucchini. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, did it!! :-) I offered the same friend a bunch of serrano peppers, and she looked at me like I was crazy & declined.

      Delete