Monday, August 9, 2021

Menu Plan Monday

We went through so much food last week! The boys had 40 hours of soccer each (camp + club practice + scrimmages), so eating was their part time job. ;-) 

Nick has also grown six inches in the last year, so I know why our food budget is so high these days.

I'm trying something new with the menu planning, as I find it hard to solicit verbal input for dinner recommendations. Last night I passed out a chart with dinner selections, and then had everyone select three. That way, no one can complain about what I make! I'm thinking of rotating the creation of the dinner recommendations. I've called it "the dinner game", and the teens didn't really think it was much of a game, but begrudgingly voted. ;-) I also had a write in section, so of course someone (M) wrote in a Greek takeout meal. That was a winner, as was tacos. Nick will also make a Sicilian pan pizza that he found the recipe for (another write in). 

Here's the menu for the week (we have a large green salad with every meal):

  • Friday - wings & zucchini fritters
  • Saturday - kebabs & rice
  • Sunday - Nick's Sicilian pan pizza (salmon for M)
  • Monday - tacos, with spicy cauliflower rice
  • Tuesday - leftover kebabs & rice
  • Wednesday - leftover pizza (salmon for M)
  • Thursday - takeout Greek food
  • Friday - leftovers, or TBD
What's on your menu for the week?


15 comments:

  1. I had 3 boys and I understand totally eating as a job. It is especially difficult those years of super growth combined with sports.
    I think the dinner game is a brilliant idea. I wish I had done that when I had kids at home. Maybe I will do it just for the two of us.
    What do you do to make the cauliflower rice spicy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the dinner game is quite the ticket. ;-) People are asking for prizes, because "no game is complete without a prize". I'll have to figure something out. A prize may be as glamorous as not having to load the dishwasher for a day.

      I use this Trader Joes cauliflower rice, which is fabulous. https://www.traderjoes.com/home/products/pdp/069856

      Delete
  2. We are doing chicken tikka masala, sloppy Joe's, chicken enchiladas, taco ring, baked omelet, pizza and a cookout this week. Your menu sounds yummy! Hope it's a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your menu sounds great as well! I wish I could convince others to have eggs in the evening. I fast in the morning, so eggs are a rare treat for me.

      Delete
  3. My friend has a "What's for Dinner" wheel. If the boys ever asked what was for dinner after a long day (they both worked) they'd answer "Spin the wheel." Some of the things on the wheel were doughnuts, pizza, scrambled eggs, as well as dry martinis, and "forget it, just go to bed. You can eat in the morning." It was hilarious. (No, they didn't take it literally.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this! My kids will quickly say, "I'll make my own dinner." And, they will, but it's not terribly balanced & heavily indexes to our emergency stash of freezer meals. I occasionally let that play out, but it's not something I'd want them to on the regular. That's what college is for. ;-)

      Delete
  4. That all sounds so good. We had Sicilian sandwiches from a local shop on Saturday. They were so good. I’ll be curious to see how your pizza tastes. Please let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I CAN'T IMAGINE HOW HUNGRY THEY WERE>

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just catching up with blog posts. Congrats on your mortgage payoff!! What a fabulous feeling. Now all your money is yours (except taxes eek). I absolutely agree with the way you guys did it, pay less interest and save the money for the capital gains tax. We only pay tax on a capital gain on a secondary property in Canada. We don't pay at all if it is our primary residence. We have a condo Mom lives in that has skyrocketed so one day when she moves out we will have to pay that piper. So much beautiful produce! Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to "see" you! It is such a wonderful feeling. We are quite excited, and are just getting used to what we do next. First things first, save up the taxes! :-)

      Delete
  7. Dang, I haven't made kabobs all summer. Must add those to the menu very soon.

    Your menu is awesome and gives me ideas for mine.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum, kabobs! A perfect summer food. My husband makes multiple kinds & I love them all.

      Delete
  8. Fellow soccer moms unite! :-) It's rough juggling all of the requirements & preferences. I also cook almost exclusively on Friday, Saturday & Sunday, and then we have leftovers on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday. Thursday is sometimes leftover, or something from the freezer. It's not perfect, but it works for us.

    ReplyDelete