Thursday, August 12, 2021

Big goals to small goals

 After paying off the mortgage a week or so ago, I'm feeling the itch to set a few smaller goals. Currently, we are overwhelmed with garden produce, and they are pushing other food to the back of the fridge. I think a "use it up" challenge, will be useful over the next month or so.

My current plan is to list out a few things that need to be used up, and ensure they are top of mind as I'm making meals, snacks & putting together lunches for the kids. Side note, I typically only make lunches for the kids when I have something I want to use up. They are more than capable of making their own, but I'm sneaky that way. :-) 

Things to use up, week 1 challenge:

  1. 1/2 a loaf of sliced bread. We're not big sandwich eaters, so I'll need to get creative. Maybe french toast?
  2. 1/2 a package of sliced cheese
  3. Grate, use, or give away at least six zuchhinis
  4. Pickle at least 2 more batches of peppers
  5. Finish the open tomato soup
  6. Use up one freezer item (wild card, as it can be anything ;-))
  7. Finish off the taco meat
What about you? Do you set small goals? Any you'd like to share? Are you currently trying to use up anything in particular? 

5 comments:

  1. Way to go sneaky mom!
    I think our green beans have run their course now and I am glad. We are still getting a boatload of banana peppers and bell peppers. We also have finally gotten some female flowers on the cucumber plants and are starting to see them produce. The okra is producing but slowly and the chipmunks are now feasting on the tomatoes. It is time to start thinking/planting a fall garden and I am honestly ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I set at my desk, and face our pool/patio area, and can see the squirrels picking tomatoes off of our plant, one by one, and carry them away. It makes me a terrible person that I truly want a slingshot, so I can (not injure them), but scare them away from my tomatoes.

      I'm also getting some stuff ready for a "fall" garden. Our weather stays pretty consistently sunny, but hopefully it will cool off a bit.

      Delete
  2. I love mini challenges. Your's are some good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its great to use up those items, so you don't have any food waste. I do that same thing. I made a tuna sandwich today to use up some tuna salad I had in the fridge. Then I will use up the egg salad I have in there from making deviled eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry already got zucc from a friend, can't help you...

    ReplyDelete