Monday, August 2, 2021

Frugal Monday

I was out of town on Friday, so I'm just getting back into the swing of things. Here's what we did this week.  


Saving on things we buy

  • Returned another sunblock to Rite Aid (sadly, the recalled brand was my favorite) & this time they just credited me back on my card. Last time I earned a gift card. I think I've corralled up all of the sunblock, but we keep it in lots of bags & places, to ensure we always have it on hand when we need it. 
  • Uploaded receipts to iBotta & Fetch. Saved a bit here & there. 
  • Used a grocery store gift card to get $20 of groceries for "free". Combined that with a double points offer, and iBotta, which made it a slightly better deal. I bought the kids sports drinks for their summer camp (a rare treat, but 8 hours of soccer a day & 80 degree weather means I'll allow ;-)), picked up some pasta & a few other things we needed. 


Earning money

  • I've continued to sell a few things on eBay:
    • A set of face masks
    • A dress shirt
    • A knit hat
    • A camera (from the beach house)



Avoiding spending

  • Posted an ask for Amazon (or other types) of padded mailing envelopes. I received a ton, which is great. I will use them to package my eBay sales. I also had quite a few people say that they would start saving them, as they loved keeping them out of landfills, and getting extra use. 

Eating what we have

  • We continued to eat a lot of delicious stuff out of the garden, in our salads, and making caprese with tomatoes & basil. Current harvests include: green peppers, cucumbers, strawberries, mint, Greek basil, tomatoes (just a few, due to the squirrels), zucchini & banana peppers.
  • Used up a bunch of fruit in smoothies for lunch this week. Nectarines, peaches, & blueberries. I was also able to use up frozen bananas & strawberries. I love smoothies for summer lunches. Filling & cooling, and a great way to use up produce. 
  • Ate leftover Greek takeout for lunch on Saturday
  • Pickled a variety of peppers & chiles in a mixed batch for M
  • Made a triple batch of pico de gallo, to use up a bunch of tomatoes & jalapenos
  • Made a double batch of coleslaw (I always shred my own cabbage & carrots) to use up a head of cabbage that was getting old
  • Made breaded zucchini coins, to accompany dinner

For others

  • Continued to give things away on Buy Nothing
  • Checked in on my volunteer job
  • Made a donation to a cause dear to my Mom's heart, as a thank you
What about you? Any wins to report?

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good week for you even being out of town for one day. We save our mailers too to reuse. I love keeping them out of th landfill too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're shipping priority mail, you can order free priority padded flat rate envelopes from the Post office.

    Yum. We love smoothies. I sometimes add leftover fresh carrots or the last of the bagged salad to my fruit smoothies. You don't even notice that there's veggies in there (not that we mind veggies at all)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a great week. Love the idea of saving mailers, I think I just may have to start doing that as well. Provided I can get my Hubby not to just rip them all open.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete