Friday, August 27, 2021

Frugal Friday

 The busy work weeks continue, but we are trying to continue our good financial habits. 


Saving on things we buy

  • I considered doing delivery pizza for the boys last weekend, while we went on a date night. Picked up a Digornio's pizza instead, which was still pricey (need to stock up while they are on sale), but definitely cheaper than delivery pizza. 
  • I attempted a gift card offer at Rite Aid, and never got the rewards. I checked my receipt, and both cashiers & the manager were very puzzled, but eventually just added $20 to a gift card. Even better.
  • I booked our holiday flights using a travel credit from a cancelled COVID United flight. I paid $215 for four tickets, including a multi destination trip.  It was a great deal, and I'm thrilled I could use the credit for a trip we were already planning on taking. 

Earning money

  • Nick is going through training to become a soccer ref. This is a great job for someone who is below 16, and he has lots of soccer experience already. We fronted him the initial $75 for the class, and received the rest of the training for free via Sam's soccer club. We were able to use a gift card for the required uniform. I'm almost done with the gift card we won in a raffle several years ago. 
  • Earned a $5 reward on Bing
  • It's been very slow on eBay, mostly because I haven't been posting new things. Here's what I sold:
    • One of M's now outgrown dress shirt (he's lost a bunch of weight recently)
    • A gift we purchased that didn't work out 

Avoiding spending

  • Nick needed a whistle for his ref training course, and I almost ordered him one on Amazon, and then remembered that I'd been meaning to toss one that's been lingering in my closet. That was leftover from long forgotten soccer days 8 years ago, when I coached the boys team. :-) Glad it's back in use & we didn't need to buy anything. 
  • Used a credit for a movie rental over the weekend. It's amazing how we have several streaming services, yet many movies are still unavailable ... 
  • I also have another large United credit that needs to be used by May, so we're planning a potential family spring break trip. The planning part is fun, particularly knowing that the flights will be free!

Eating what we have

  • We somehow managed to eat all of the frozen bananas - I can't believe they are out of the freezer! So much more space.
  • I heated up the leftovers from my Saturday dinner out for Sam, and Nick ate leftovers from his Saturday dinner
  • Made blistered shisito peppers as a side dish, as well as guacamole (using homegrown cilantro, jalapenos & tomatoes) 
  • Used up garden green/orange/yellow peppers in our fajita dish
  • Made 8 batches of pickled peppers, and then used the brine to pickle other vegetables

For others

  • Gave away two skateboards & a scooter on our Buy Nothing group. 
  • Shared more zucchini & other garden goodies with friends & neighbors. My across the street neighbor also gave us Persian basil & lettuce from her garden. Love the sharing!
  • Gave away lots of peppers via Buy Nothing
What about you? Any wins to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment