Monday, August 23, 2021

That time you made 8 batches of pickled peppers, and Menu Plan Monday

We had SOOOOOO many Serrano peppers, even after giving away a huge amount on Buy Nothing. I made 8 batches of this recipe, & then M added a ton of veggies into the leftover brine, creating an enormous bowl of pickled vegetables. I'm hoping we'll have lots of wonderful peppers preserved as a result. 

Here's what's on the menu:

  • Friday - we had "cheater" takeout, which is Trader Joes frozen Chinese options of egg rolls & gyozas + grilled chicken
  • Saturday - we were all out to eat. M & I were on a date night, and the kids went out to eat with a friend
  • Sunday - steak, shishito peppers, & Caesar salads
  • Monday - chicken fajitas, guacamole
  • Tuesday - steak, peppers & caprese salad
  • Wednesday - chicken fajitas
  • Thursday - any leftovers. If not, gyozas & chicken
  • Friday - pizza + salad
What are you making this week? Are you working through any garden bounty? 

8 comments:

  1. That pickled peppers sound delicious. It wouldn't last long in our household :) Your husband adding veggies reminds me of something that we eat back home, called atchar. You get different kinds of atchar and I eat that stuff with almost everything...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband also grew up with lots of pickled veggies, and his dad would spend weeks pickling peppers & many other things

      Delete
  2. No garden, no bounty for me but, I bought 11 lbs of navy beans in shell. I will be shellig them and freezing them for winter. This is better than the dry beans and I bought a specific kind which I like. I also bought some tomatoes (San Marzano type) and will attempt to dry them in my oven. Istanbul is too humid to sundry tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! We've grown San Marzano this year, and they are so good. We need to plant more next years.

      Delete
  3. Other than mini pumpkins, I finally admitted this year that I had no business growing vegetables. I have, however, canned raspberry jam, and have frozen 3 gallon size bags of blackberries picked from our property. I made zucchini relish from zucchini given by a friend. I *might* head to a farmstand to get some green beans to can, and will pick up a case of tomatoes late in the season for cheap in order to can my homemade tomato soup...all depends on how I feel when I find the cases. They are at the very end, so I have to can the soup the same day I get the tomatoes.
    Dinners this week are up in the air--last night eldest grilled Wagyu steaks, which we had with a salad and some baked beans. Tonight might be baked stuffed pork chops, as it's turned cold. I have two peppers leftover from the relish escapade, so lo mein chicken will probably be in the works one day this week. Kids are all trying to eke the last bit of fun out of summer before school begins--the 2nd for the h.s., middle of September for college kids. I'm working with neighbor to get a handle of what days she needs me to watch daughter/take her to dance...enter fall!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had Waygu steak last night as well! We had ours with salad & shishitos. Yum.

      You do lots of great processing, even if you aren't growing your own. I get a lot of help from my husband, who has a real green thumb. He typically gets us started, and then I go from there with the maintenance.

      Delete
  4. Your menu sounds like something right up my alley. We are making chicken enchiladas today. I’m not sure about the rest of the week yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot hot foods or pickled, so all this good food talk is just lost on me. I have allergies, not being picky.

    ReplyDelete